Help with info; data to choose a boat

Things that are of general interest.
garycarroll
Tin star

Help with info; data to choose a boat

Post by garycarroll »

Considering a Marinette for Gulf of mexico. I live in a coastal town, right at the water. I am thinking a 28 fisherman, and have questions on dual vs single engine, and 28 vs 32.

A major reason for 28 over 32 is the ability to pull out of the water on a trailer and tow a few miles (hurricane safety, and to move from bay to lake or river). I am thinking a 32 crosses a line to make this impractical. Is this correct, or is a 32 more "land-mobile" than I think? Florida is friendly to wide boats on the road, but the combination of length and width and a bit more draft add up to more difficulty. I am not planning on towing 60 miles, more like 1 to 10.

What is the difference in gas mileage between a single engine and a twin, all other things being equal? (Of course, the twin will have dual gas tanks; I just mean as equal as possible.) I think the single engine 28 fisherman with a clean bottom would get a bit less than 1MPG for "reasonable but not very careful" use, up to around 3MPG if treated like a displacement hull and driven slowly for maximum range. I think a dual would get worse at displacement speeds even if run on one engine because of the drag of the unused prop. If run at displacement on 2 engines it will get worse because of two engines loafing rather than one. At cruise, single vs dual probably about the same (two engines working easier than one, but still two engines consuming fuel)?

A dual engine boat has the advantages of being able to come in from 5 miles out in the gulf even if one engine fails; and easier maneuvering at the dock. Can all of these be at mostly offset by the addition of a smallish (15HP?) outboard on a stern bracket? I understand a large outboard would require major modifications to the transom, but a small one should not. Could this give the dockside maneuvering and emergency-get-home (albeit slowly) feature?

Thoughts?
1979 32' Sedan Cruiser Flybridge, "Extended Play"
Dual 350 Crusader, carbureted with closed freshwater cooling
Westerbeke gasoline marine generator
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Help with info; data to choose a boat

Post by javalin390 »

Hmm... Interesting questions. I know that here in the state of Ohio, A 32' Express, with a 12' beam, requires an oversize permit . I found this out before purchasing my boat ( I ended up purchasing a 37' later on). Someone with a 28' may know better, but I think the beam of 28's and 32's are the same??? There are some pretty awesome Captains out there that can dock a single with great ease, but I can tell you that after 5 years living with twins, I would never own a boat with a single screw. I have never tried operating with only one engine at a time, I always figured the gas saving would be minimal and was afraid of tearing up the transmissions. I usually cruise mine around 2500 RPM, take my time going from point A to B, and even my 37' does pretty good on gas. Growing up, my father had a 28' Rienell fiberglass cabin cruiser with a single Mercruiser/Chevy 305 I/O. It guzzled gas, was difficult to dock, and we kids usually received some choice words while trying to help him dock.
If hauling from the coast to an inland waterway, over just a few miles probably wouldn't be an issue for you. But for me, as far as the engines, I'd go for twins.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

28' is 11' wide & has single 100gal fuel tank
32' is 12' wide & has twin 75gal fuel tanks

Fuel use on twin is very economical compared to fiberglass boats of same size with twin engines.
Twin engine is much easier to maneuver and also makes troubleshooting easier.
The only single engine I would ever consider would be a diesel on a trawler hull.

If you are looking for a 28' I'd recommend a 28 Express with twins and without a bridge. The hardtop keeps the sun off you and the lack of bridge reduces the pendulum effect.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
papaharry

Post by papaharry »

I run a 28' sportsman single in lake Erie and dock in the vermillion river I find no problem docking in tight quarters once you get the hang of it. Has a tendency to veer to port in reverse
Attachments
28' Sportsman.JPG
28' Sportsman.JPG (12.99 KiB) Viewed 15623 times
Gin
New poster

Post by Gin »

I have the 32 1988 with the b model config I love it.. The shipper while brining it back from Canada knocked the fly bridge off ok not off but had to be pulled off. While trying to make up my mind I bought me second one because I want o install jet moters or electric moters The 89 i'm trying to buy is a Amodel so Guess i'm a collector .. Here is my 2 cents That these Marinette will be a collectable item moving forward.. Enjoy it guys
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

A 'B' model 32 footer? Rare beast! We looked at one before buying our normal model 32 footer but the price was way too high.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

The B Model 32 was interesting. I think the separate shower stall is the most important feature. But i don't think I could do without my Dinette.

To the OP I think a twin engine boat is much easier to live with than a single. Not that a single would scare me. I do not think a kicker 15hp motor is going to be feasible...atleast reasonable. I am just thinking how would you link it together for steering and such. Seems like a lot of work for little results.
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
robalo220
Tin star

Post by robalo220 »

Bryank97 wrote:The B Model 32 was interesting. I think the separate shower stall is the most important feature. But i don't think I could do without my Dinette.

To the OP I think a twin engine boat is much easier to live with than a single. Not that a single would scare me. I do not think a kicker 15hp motor is going to be feasible...atleast reasonable. I am just thinking how would you link it together for steering and such. Seems like a lot of work for little results.

If you are using a kicker (15hp OB for a get home) you can just lock it in middle position and use your rudder for steering to get home. Then unlock from mid position and use the tiller to navigate into your slip. You can also use the 15 for trolling. Tiller extension works great to steer from the cockpit. Ragbaggers (sailboaters) do this all the time with the tiller extension.

Cheers
John
John

1991 41 Marquis Convertible "Running on Water"
454 Crusaders
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

Bryank97 wrote:The B Model 32 was interesting. I think the separate shower stall is the most important feature. But i don't think I could do without my Dinette.

Easy enough to fab up a tie rod to go. From the rudder to the kicker motor as well, i think they actually make something commercially for this as well.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Aquaholic
Tin star

Post by Aquaholic »

Towing:
We have both a 32 Sedan with twin engines and a 28 Express with a single engine. Love both boats! Buy one of each :lol:
Seriously though, we have trailered both boats. The 28 Express I’ve trailered multiples of times for trips ranging from 15 Miles up to about 100 miles with no issue. Technically towing even the 28 does require and oversized load permit as well.
With the 32 Sedan I launched and loaded from what I would consider a “yard trailer” multiple times over the first two years we owned it. I have only towed it on the road for less than 1 mile though. I would NOT consider a 32 Sedan to be a boat that you would want to transport often or far many times.

Handling/advantages of twin -vs- single
The twin 32 Sedan is very maneuverable when docking and in windy weather. It has been wonderful to handle for us traversing well over 7K miles of the inland rivers, Gulf of Mexico, Florida Keys and the ICW of Florida up to Jacksonville. We have twice been glad to have the twin engines because of mechanical issues; once when a throttle cable broke while in a lock on the Tennessee River and another time when our water pump went out last Spring when traveling between Lake O and Ft Myers. It is always reassuring to know if one goes the other can get you to safe port.
The handling of our 28 Single engine express took some getting used to and practice to get comfortable with but after purposefully, safely practicing maneuvers and docking in different conditions did a few weeks it became very doable.

Fuel and maintenance:
The single is cheaper to operate/maintain and has a significantly longer range. We average 1.7 mpg running at 2800-3000 RPM’s. We are fortunate that our 28 express has twin 67 gallon fuel tanks (134 gallon total) which gives us a range of ~200 miles with some to spare. On the single the maintenance is all 50% of what it is on the twin sedan. Less gas, less oil, fewer spark plugs, less stabil and antifreeze to winterize...etc.
On the 32 Sedan we average 1.1 mpg cruising at 2700-2900 rpm. I don’t believe it would be healthy for the boat to run on 1 engine regularly and even when we have been forced to a couple times for short distances I don’t believe any better economy was achieved.
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River