Bow & Stern thrusters

Things that are of general interest.
coastie1160870
Tin star

Re: Bow & Stern thrusters

Post by coastie1160870 »

I for one single hand a 32 Express with twin 318's, and a 32 sedan w/ fly bridge, and 360's. I would LOVE, and I mean LOVE, to have thrusters.! One or both.! I also am a double amputee. And as such, I can't always get a line on before the wind sends me out of my slip, AGAIN..! I also plan to do the Great Loop, in the next couple years. Having a set of thrusters would be very helpful when going through the 160 plus locks in that 7,000 mile trip around the eastern United States. So in my humble opinion... GO FOR IT..! And PLEASE DO SHOW US HOW TO INSTALL THEM..! It's a damn good idea if you can afford it..!!
R.A. Campbell
32 Sedan-Bridge
260 Chrysler Twins
" KOKOMO "
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Coastie1160870,

Points well made! Hopefully, if the original poster does install either -or- both thrusters, pics would be forthcoming!

AND... WHEN (thinking positively here... :D ) you do the Great Loop, I hope you'll post continual updates and pics of your journey. That would be so cool!!!

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Also, I believe, either in this current forum, or in the old one, someone did create a stern thruster using a remote controlled, heavy thrust trolling motor. It was mounted to the swim platform (?). Wiring could be a small challenge ( need for selector switches to control power/head movement from either the upper or lower steering station plus increasing control cable lengths for use at both positions ) but I'm certain it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Seems that this is a case where someone ought to make contact with a mfr or two to get some pertinent advice..then share the info
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Aft Thruster.JPG
..."I believe, either in this current forum, or in the old one, someone did create a stern thruster using a remote controlled, heavy thrust trolling motor."

You bet!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
DWW

Post by DWW »

I see I may have struck a cord with some nay sayers, I boat on Lake Erie where the winds can be a challenge with the shallow daft and light boat. My dock is tight and I and my wife are not getting any younger. I have had other boats and they all handled better at slow speed than the Marinette. I love my boat and plan on keeping a long time. Most of the time I probably won’t have to use them but for those close quarter windy days they will come in very handy.
87’ 32 Marinette Sedan twin 360 Chrysler’s Lake Erie Geneva