Forum and Facebook

Things that are of general interest.
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Forum and Facebook

Post by Maestro »

I am essentially stating the obvious here but still wanted to share this. The forum is somewhat quiet right now as we go through the holiday season and focus on our non-boat responsibilities. The facebook page seems fairly active. As someone who checks both places daily, I would like to point out that the forum is a far more powerful tool for building a library of resources for current and prospective Marinette owners.

The facebook page is an excellent place for sharing photos, videos, and stories. You can post videos and photos more quickly. However, the detailed technical information, how-to's, and advice available on this forum are priceless. On facebook you tend to read what's at the top of the page, maybe scroll down for a bit. Here you can easily see the massive amount of information available to you just by checking the board index.

When I first joined the previous forum, I read silently for many months before saying a word. I have made significant repairs and improvements to my boat without ever posting a question - I simply searched and read through old information. I think there are many members who do the same. Later on when I did post questions, people far smarter than I were there to help right away.

There are also those of us who check this site and facebook every single day just in case some tidbit of new information has been shared...always thirsty for more Marinette knowledge even if it does not directly apply to our own boat. Thank you to members like RustyBoat who post in both places.

I'm definitely not trying to discount the facebook page here - I'm just one more person saying that this forum is awesome. Even if there aren't a lot of people posting right now, people ARE checking in and looking forward to read what YOU have to say!
Last edited by Maestro on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Forum and Facebook

Post by ddependo »

Well said. I would be lost without the forum. Makes owning a Marinette more enjoyable.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

Wayne, I couldn't agree more!

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Forums such as this succeed so well because the information is compartmentalized - organized into departments - for faster searching. Sort of like a library. Facebook is more of a social, howdy partner, destination. Its only advantage when you are looking for info is that it does a better job of allowing video posts and for many it's easier to post stills. This forum has been going strong since its origins in the 90's thanks to a fellow now probably gone named Bill Knight. I'd bet that remnants of what he did are still probably out there in the vast stores of internet memorabilia. All that said, Joe Howard has made it pretty clear his ability to keep up stewardship and administration of the site is short term so if you love it and want to keep it going, someone will have to step forward and decisively take the reins. Haven't heard or seen that so far (though a few have stuck their toe in). Good luck
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I concur!

I am several other Facebook sites and personally they do not work well for me. I like the detailed archived posts on the forums.

Facebook has its place for general pic posting and chat. Good for finding friends but my focus is on Marinettes and all the knowledge and experience from the members here.

I also enjoy the hobby of antique cars and find the site Ford Barn very similar. Great folks and tons of information available!

Have Calm Seas and Clear skies this Holiday Season!

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
shelbygt
Tin star

Post by shelbygt »

Well said Maestro!
1962 Marinette 31' Express
Single Gray Marine AMC 327

1955 Feathercraft Deluxe Runabout
Mercury 500

1976 Saquaro Jet Boat
Ford 460
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

I hope you guys won't dump our forum for Facebook (aka, egobook) Facebook has a lot of great attributes but I deleted my account and I can't see what you guys are chattering about on the marinette page...so keep posting to this site. :lol:
Last edited by tundrarules on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Good points, Maestro...

Tundra...
I may have to ask you to change your avatar pic...

... The "Admiral" is a palm tree fanatic and if she sees yours, I'm going to have to go back to looking for an artificial palm tree to put at the end of our slip. :) (kidding... just about you pullin' it down. I have looked for the tree. We now have a short version that sits at the slip. Of course, being in Zinzinnati, it has to over winter in my office at work! I must love her (Admiral) cuz luggin' that thing from the marina to the office and back is a lot of labor....).

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Bill
I thought you guys would like my avatar. Sounds like you need to get the admiral a fake Palm tree for Christmas. You can thank me later :lol: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... palm+tree+
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
RustyBoat
Tin star

Post by RustyBoat »

Well said! I like using both sites for different purposes. Its easier to upload videos from my phone to Facebook.........even if the videos are not always to everyone's approval.
1968 32' Fisherman
beginning restoration fall of 2014

Lake Sidney Lanier