New guy/new owner here

Things that are of general interest.
seef158
Aluminum Star

New guy/new owner here

Post by seef158 »

I have been looking for a good, used, trailerable Marinette for years. Finally found a 1979 28 express hardtop with a single 318. 1500 hrs on it, boat, cockpit and canvas are in great shape, the cabin could use some new curtains and seat covers. I am paying 5000 for the boat, no trailer. I think a pretty good deal, what do you all think?
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
mlklusman
New poster

Re: New guy/new owner here

Post by mlklusman »

Welcome to the Forum, seef158.
As an owner of a 28ft. your buying price ; to me is a very good deal. I also don't have a trailer but keep mine docked year round. Did put new interior cushions inside ,makes quite a difference.
If there are any questions on your Marinette , this is the place to be. Will always get great info from experienced owners with the technical background to help you out. Also pretty good vendors list.

Mark
No matter where you go, there you are
Knot Normal , 28ft Express
Twin 318s
Ten Mile TN.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

When you say boat is in great shape, was that a surveyor's report or your own (and the owner's) opinion. A qualified surveyor is worth every penny he/she charges and also your insurance company may require one. If the systems - propulsion, electrical etc - require work you have to add that to the price to understand more fully what you are getting. Over the years, I've always preached getting the meanest, cold-hearted, objective surveyor on your side and never, never one recommended by the seller or broker.

Meanwhile, the boat appears to have been lightly used with only about 40 hrs/year over its life span.

Good luck on your impending purchase and Mark is right, this forum is a good place to hang out for advice.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

I did not have a survey done, I went and inspected it myself. Having grown up around a 42' steel houseboat built in the 50's and owning 5 previous boats I feel I have a pretty good idea of what to look for on a used boat. I couldn't find anything to gripe about on this, no pitting in the bottom, good bottom and hull paint, solid rear deck, newer canvas and it has been shrink wrapped while in storage. Can't wait to go pick it up in the spring and get it all dialed in. Does anyone have any feed back on using the cold tar bottom coating on these aluminum marinettes?
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
seef158,
I did my 1974 32' Sedan F/B using many coats of VC tar and and VC 17 cooper Antifouling. :!: Made for a slick bottom. :) I think I installed 4 or 5 coats of tar. :idea:
The tar is used for a barrier coating between the aluminum and cooper. :mrgreen:
I contacted a rep at Interlux and he sent me all the information. :idea: I believe the information is available on their web site. :geek:
bill

thanks for using the signature to your replies. Make it easier to figure what part of the country you boat in and what Marinette you have. :D
Last edited by bill on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

sef158,
I met a guy @ Green Turtle Bay in 2011, that had a custom made aluminum boat with tar bottom. Seems he had been doing that for a while. I don't know what results were/ are/

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

So, Got the boat fired up last night on the hose, didn't even do a tune up, just wanted to see if it would fire. It started after about 30 seconds of cranking and ran perfect other than a little burble on fast acceleration. We will see how it runs under a load, maybe get it in the water this weekend.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi