Swithching to hydraulic steering- Anyone done this on their own?

Things that are of general interest.
Red5

Swithching to hydraulic steering- Anyone done this on their own?

Post by Red5 »

So I now have pieced together two complete hydraulic set ups. The wheels / pump and cylinder. I'm considering only doing the conversion to the top helm. Given the way these Marinette's can mechanically switch and isolate the top from the bottom and the fact that the bottom has never given me any problems I think that I can set this up to work from only the top station.

Question. Anyone have a picture of how they mounted the hydraulic cylinder? IE": What did you hook to? How did you figure out the proper throw? I'm new to hydraulic steering and have never messed with this stuff before. My upper station helm (soon to be) has three hydraulic lines. I'm guessing that this brand "hynautic" has no side tank and that it simply holds the fluid in the wheel pump.

Looking for help or pictures.
37 Sedan Twin CAT 3208's "Under Way is the Only Way".
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: Swithching to hydraulic steering- Anyone done this on their own?

Post by yooper »

I have to take my flybridge off to store my boat in a building with a 14ft door. The hydraulic steering is an easy removal. You just take out 4 bolts behind the wheel and drop the pump on the deck. The mechanical engine controls are harder. I do not see how a combination of mechanical and hydraulic steering would even work. The mechanical controls are not isolated at all. The device to actually move the rudders is a cable or cylinder and would have to be one or the other. I have an original Hynautic system that works perfectly with two helms (pumps). There is a pressurized reservior mounted on the inside of the stern. If you got a used Hynautic system it looks like you may not have it all.
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Yes I did the switch. :D
Go to the vendors list, the second page.
Go to ".Up Date Your Steering"
bill

When you get a chance add a signature to your
posts. :roll:
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Supersport18
Tin star

Post by Supersport18 »

Hynautic dual helm
Hynautic dual helm
These are the components you will need
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Hydraulic Steering (both helms)
Autopilot (both helms)
Supersport18
Tin star

Post by Supersport18 »

One thing to consider with not disconnecting lower helm... If anything falls against wheel it may lock up your steering. Not sure if manual steering will work against hydraulic pressure in the cylinder and system. Check ebay for the other components you will need. I suggest doing both helms, you won't be sorry. Hydraulic steering is great. And easier to add autopilot to in the future.
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Hydraulic Steering (both helms)
Autopilot (both helms)
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

Hi if you use seastar hydraulic helms you do not need a reservoir or a relief valve. The helms acts as the reservoir and they have internal safety relief valves built in. I think it would be very difficult to put hydraulic steering on only one station. BigM
1987 32 f/b sedan with twin 318's Docked on florida's nature coast
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

I have hydraulic steering in my 42' and I have to admit I'm not a fan. I like the feel of mechanical steering better. And one thing that really bugs me is that there are no stops on the wheel. I can spin it like a fan. Makes it a pain to center rudders.. A real pain at low speeds when leaving dock in reverse after docking in wind and really needing to use rudder to jam stern in.. I have put off installing a rudder indicator and just have to deal with it but it's not ideal..
But I also drive a stick shift and prefer that to automatics and always have. I like to "feel" like I am piloting (and driving). Just my .02
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Totally agree!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Red5

Post by Red5 »

Does anyone happen to know what length cable I need on a 37 sedan? Thinking about going back to cable. And a good place to purchase said cable would be nice. :)
37 Sedan Twin CAT 3208's "Under Way is the Only Way".
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

From what I have found, a cable for our Big M's is not available. I've thought of going to a liner motor and joy stick. Defintely would need a rudder indicator. Thoughts.

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL