Rudder shaft corossion concern.

Things that are of general interest.
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Rudder shaft corossion concern.

Post by martindesign »

So as I fix one issue I find two more. Love boats. :lol: when I first got the boat the steering was frozen. The rudder shafts were frozen in the upper support plate bushing. Grease fittings would not take grease and after some beating and oil soaking I got them sort of freed up. Still some crunching going on. (I though these were stainless).... Now the packing is puking and its all the way tightened down. Actually as I tightened it it got worse. Also felt crunchy. I'm afraid to try repacking if the shaft is pitted cause it'll just eat up the new packing. Sling in and out all the time getting expensive. Anyone ever run into this? Thanks again guys.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Re: Rudder shaft corossion concern.

Post by martindesign »

Im found only one picture online that is set up like mine. With the upper greasable plate and it also had hydraulic steering so maybe this was a part of that kit. There is a plate and upper support on mine that it looks like a lot didn't have. Also seems thatcould cause corossion issues.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Our boat had the same rudder support configuration. I tore it out. Here's why:
1. It makes the stuffing box difficult to service.
2. I found the plastic stuffing box underneath it. I believe these are brittle and untrustworthy. It's a cheap solution to the better bronze box.
3. The bronze bearing attached to a stainless steel plate creates a grounding path to a steel rudder. This simply makes the rudder a large anode.

Go to blue yacht supply and buy a Buck Algonquin bronze stuffing box. I believe the size is 1" shaft and 2" hose. You'll also need 1/4" packing material. They are $90 each and solves the problem. While your in there, pick up a "betty" bearing by Johnson Duramax and replace the rudder bearing. It will likely need the replacement.

When we bought our boat, the rudder was structurally sound but was rusted through in spots. I believe the reason was the support plate.

Since removing the plate, replacing the bearing and the packing gland, we no longer have rudder wobble or corrosion.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Wow. Thank you for the reply. That literally anwsers 100% of my questions. I am gonna do exactly that. Thank you so much!!!
Catawba Oh
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

We're you're rudders salvageable? I'm concerned about too much pitting around the packing to seal.
Catawba Oh
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

Personally I would stay with the plastic. No bronze.
Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Yeah that makes an abundance of common sense. Let's put 1/32" of plastic between a thousands of water gallons and a boat bilge. My plastic packing gland was so brittle it snapped off with very little movement.

The only contact point in a packing gland is the non-metallic packing material. If properly installed, there is no corrosion issue. This supposed fear of bronze is over blown.

Yes. The rudder was salvageable. Worst case, you can buy a stainless rudder for less than $200.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

My "plastic stuffing box is a lot thicker than 1/32, but it's your boat.
Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

Martindesign wrote:

" I'm afraid to try repacking if the shaft is pitted cause it'll just eat up the new packing. Sling in and out all the time getting expensive."

I know of someone :oops: who tried repacking in the water :roll: You would be surprised :lol: at how fast that rudder will drop to the bottom of the lake :shock: and how much water comes out of that 1" hole. :o
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

These packing glands are getting hard to find. I believe all the rudders shafts are 1" dia.

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/18-49409.htm

http://www.westmarine.com/sierra--stuff ... P010529691

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... i?i=749048

I would have to consider going with bronze if I replaced my rudders with new stainless ones. Rudders are never really isolated due to linkage etc. and that is why we put anodes on them.

safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain