Steermaster steering replacement

Things that are of general interest.
Seanik
Tin star

Steermaster steering replacement

Post by Seanik »

I have a 28' 1987 Marinette express (no bridge) with twin 318's. This season I noticed excessive play in the steering, yesterday I finished removing the 28 year old steermaster system. I am confused on what to replace the old system with, I have ruled out a hydraulic system ( about 1000.00 for the system). What Teleflex system do I use, safe T, big T, how many turns lock to lock, 3 or 4.2 ect;. Is there another system out there than Teleflex? Any advice or information from someone who has done a steering replacement will be appreciated.

Seanik
Jerry in Erie Pa
Seanik (Jerry)
Presque Isle Bay, Erie Pa
US army veteran
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Steermaster steering replacement

Post by Busia »

I went through the same problem. Found the best and cheapest thing was to buy Teleflex locally ( less than $200 ) and make an adapter for the cable end. Works smoothly and can be taken apart and greased. It's made for steering outboards, so easy to find and works good. Message me if you need more info.--Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

Sorry about that.
bill
Last edited by bill on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

I also did the teleflex system and works well 3 turn lock to lock on a 28 single. Take my word for it be very careful when putting the new gear in the helm if you ground it in any way on a hot side of any of the gages it will wled the cable sold inside the cable. I did do this and also shimmed my dash out about 5/8 of an inch to make sure the next person never has this problem.. Very bad day!
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
Seanik
Tin star

Post by Seanik »

Busia and Jmonday your posts regarding my steering replacement is much appreciated and is the exact information I needed.

bill: I don't post a lot and I guess my signature didn't carry over from the old forum. My boat information was in my post, Sometimes less is more, my signature contains my name and location. And by the way your reply of, B.O.A.T didn't help at all, just struck me as a smarta$$ answer

Seanik(Jerry)
Erie Pa
Seanik (Jerry)
US army veteran
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

No problem Jerry I think mine is the Safe T unit I can get you the number off the box if you need it mine also is a 28.
Seanik
Tin star

Post by Seanik »

I really appreciated all the advice about the steermaster replacement. Bill no need to apologize, I sometimes take things the wrong way and I hope you like the improved signature.
I was ready to order a Teleflex safe T system, I called Teleflex seastar solutions and they suggested that I replace the steering with a Big T system. After comparing cost of the Big T and a hydraulic system I ordered the Seastar HK4410-3 hydraulic kit (800.00 shipped from Florida), it comes with everything needed and 5 turns lock to lock which will allow for easier turning. The original steering wheel is quite large with protruding spokes outside the inner rim (hits the knees), I have a 13" replacement wheel that should be easier to turn
Seanik (Jerry)
US army veteran
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Jerry,
Nice signature. ;)

Did you take a look at the vendors list under "up date your steering? :?:

bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Seanik
Tin star

Post by Seanik »

After a long wait, I got my replacement hydraulic steering kit (Seastar HK4410-3), It was dropped shipped from Tenn. after ordering it from The Boat Store in Florida. The kit consists of: the helm which is also the pump, 2 30' coils of 3/8" nylon line , The rudder ram and 2 qts of hydraulic oil.The cost was reasonable at 802.00 shipped to Erie Pa. I hope to start installing soon since the boat is under shrink wrap with access door and electric heater if the sun isn't shinning. When I removed the old steering cable I attached a 1/4 drain snake to one end so pulling through the nylon lines should be easy. While reading the Seastar, Teleflex information I found it interesting that I could install a joystick instead of the traditional steering wheel for under 300.00, No thanks I like the traditional wheel, old school I am.
I will update the install
Seanik (Jerry)
US army veteran
Seanik
Tin star

Post by Seanik »

I finally finished installing the Seastar hydraulic system in my 28' single station Marinette, would I do it again? Maybe! It was a lot more work than I originally thought. The helm pump install needed a larger hole cut into the dash board, The nylon lines are difficult to bend and work with, to install the rudder cylinder I had to fabricate a bracket to hold and mount the cylinder. The Seastar instructions are sometimes vague and confusing especially where to install the nylon lines on the rudder cylinder, I had to reverse the cylinder lines while they were full of oil. While doing this I spilled about a 1/2 pint of hydraulic oil in the bilge that was in the bleeder cup. The bleeding process as per the instructions is really confusing and according to Seastar takes 2 people. There are simple bleeding instructions for this system on U tube that are excellent and can be done by 1 person. The new steering system is crisp and solid and I am glad it's done. At my age it's difficult to bend into and under the deck spaces necessary for the install, my knees and elbows took a beating. Would I do it again? Hell yes!
Seanik (Jerry)
US army veteran