I think i have found the one...

Things that are of general interest.
nascarjonb
Tin star

I think i have found the one...

Post by nascarjonb »

For the last 6 months I have been lobbying my wife to get a bigger boat.. We currently have a 1994 Grady White 18 ft spirit center console. She has finally agreed and we have looked at all kinds of boats from Grady, to Bayliners, to Maxums, and now a 1986 Marinette 28 sport fish fly bridge. I never though i would want to own a Marinette, but when the broker said he found me one that had been pretty much restored, I had to at least give it a look. during the initial inspection of the boat I then fell in love with the fact there is not Stringers or transom wood that can rot!!! This was my main concern with the other glass boats we had been looking into. The boat has been painted in imron, the cockpit has all new deck, the electrical looks brand new and the boat over all has been gone over with what seems a fine pick and there is not a scratch on it.. the owner is very maticulas and does not want to sell the boat but due to health reasons he can no longer get on the fly bridge... I also was impressed with the availability of the Chrysler engines and how SIMPLE these boats are as far as construction and design. I guess sometimes less is really more in my opinion.. I AM a automotive Technician and am very familiar with electricity and how things are supost to be, I have also done some research on how these boats are not supost to use a chasis gound like cars do, due to the effects of electrolysis. from what i have looked at i dont see any body grounding or anything that looks out of wack...

The reason i am posting today ( and im sure i know what a majority of you are going to say) is because I am debating weather to get a survey or not due to my extensive knowledge of engines and electrical, and the fact that there is no moisture to look for in the boat. The price that has been agreed to is 15000 for boat and trailer. I am meeting with the owner Saturday to finalize everything and let him know IF and WHEN I want to have a survey done. My family tells me there is no need, due to the fact of no possibility of moisture, but i have friends that say im stupid if i dont get one due to the UNKNOWN.... not sure what to do... any advice from people who may have been here would be nice... thanks
marinette.jpg
1986 28 fisherman
twin chryser 360's
Marblehead, Ohio
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: I think i have found the one...

Post by bcassedy »

By all means, get a survey! It may come back as you hope with a complete clean bill of health. If it doesn't, it'll eliminate a "DANG!!!" moment later on. These boats aren't overly complex, but there are a good number of separate systems on them. Get a surveyor familiar with Marinettes. The money spent will be worth it. You may find insurance companies will require one. With a trailer, the surveyor will have complete access to both inside and outside the boat.

You're looking at the finest brand of boat on the market! Enjoy!

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

I'm on the flip side of Bill. If it's in the water, running, and you have mech/elec knowledge, forget the survey. Pull the boat out and inspect the hull for any drastic pitting if it makes you feel better.. It's cheaper than a survey(probably $700-1000). It's a boat, stuff is going to break.. I will say that seems a bit steep for a '28 but if it's that nice and you like it.. Start boating.
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
SunbeamIV
Tin star

Post by SunbeamIV »

Earlier this year I had a signed deal for a 32 sedan pending survey. Upon close examination of the bilge area, the surveyor found extensive corrosion, and strongly suggested I pass on it, which I did.
This was a freshwater Great Lakes boat, which appeared to have been beautifly maintained, but the previous owner had used the underdeck bilge area for storage of tools, jumper cables ect. , which the surveyor believed contributed to the problem.
In my case the survey was well worth the $ 400. , and the surveyor graciously gave me a partial credit toward the survey of the M I eventually purchased.
Scott, 32' 1989 sedan flybridge
Located: Edgewater Yacht Club
Lake Erie
nascarjonb
Tin star

Post by nascarjonb »

collins69s wrote:I'm on the flip side of Bill. If it's in the water, running, and you have mech/elec knowledge, forget the survey. Pull the boat out and inspect the hull for any drastic pitting if it makes you feel better.. It's cheaper than a survey(probably $700-1000). It's a boat, stuff is going to break.. I will say that seems a bit steep for a '28 but if it's that nice and you like it.. Start boating.
Boat is located in marblehead ohio, not to far from you, surveyor gave me a estimate of 400. the boats NADA is 15500 and BUC is 17500 and i think the seller knows it. its clean as can be, looks like is rolled off the factory this year. Boat also has A/C and heat installed last year!! Im still on the fence about the survey.
1986 28 fisherman
twin chryser 360's
Marblehead, Ohio
SunbeamIV
Tin star

Post by SunbeamIV »

You may want to check and see if your insurance carrier will require a survey. As Bill said above, you may end up needing a survey anyway, so better to get it before rather than after you buy. He may also point out minor items, which may be negotiated pre-purchase.
Scott, 32' 1989 sedan flybridge
Located: Edgewater Yacht Club
Lake Erie
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

$400 is a deal. I enlarged the pic looks like West Harbor Marina. For 400 maybe do it. PM me if you want, if that boat is at west harbor Marina AND WHM owns it.. I have dealt with them before.
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

I apologize if this is off topic but if you buy the boat check into the "no chassis ground" mine was isolated from the hull and the more research I did the more info that said they should be common grounded Ac, and DC to the hull. Seemed counterproductive to me as well since you wouldn't want to have the hull grounded but it will always be through either the horn or throttle cables etc. Since I rewired and grounded the hull I have no corossion issues anymore. Just my .02 and experience. Good luck, sounds nice.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

The boat resides at the same marina as I do in West Harbor. I know the owner and he is meticulous and detailed. It has been restored and he puts it in the water every other year, if I recall. The boat would most likely be a good buy but I would still pay for a survey. Wish I could buy it but cant have 2 boats at once.

-karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

You have been boating for awhile and you seem mechanically inclined. I would skip the survey unless required by insurance. Mine did not require a survey(State Farm). Sounds like the owner has maintained the boat well. Sea trial and quick inspection will tell all you need to know. I would pull the boat and check corrosion, props, and anodes. We will put together a list of items for you to check. The boat with trailer is worth the price, granted no engine issues or major corrosion.

Hope we can welcome you to the club soon!
My quick survey list would include.

3300-4000 rpms on sea trial
Corrosion in bilge
Corrosion on outer hull.
Check that head is working.
Check all gauges are working.

Sea trial to marina if you can. Plug in shore power.
Check hot water heater is working (expensive)
Check water pump and system works with no leaks.
Check Capac meter while plugged in to shore power and see reading is 8.3 to 9.

Blah, blah.....those are the major items. The guys on here will add more.

:ugeek:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen: