I think i have found the one...

Things that are of general interest.
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: I think i have found the one...

Post by jralbert »

Sorry, "no-surveyors" -- Bill Cassedy (first to respond) has it absolutely right. As was pointed out above, it may be a moot point with a survey often being required by insurance carriers for used boats, especially vintage ones. Gad, do it for nothing more than your own peace of mind! While you are mechanically inclined, you certainly recognize that boats aren't motor vehicles - they have multiple, sometimes complex, systems. If you get a surveyor who has evaluated metal boats before (that's a must), you will easily get your 4-7 hundred bucks worth. He/she should not be connected in any way with the broker or seller, just your agent. They should be hard-nosed and thorough.
This sounds like a good purchase candidate but you should go into the deal with eyes fully open. There will be "deficiencies on the list and you can decide whether they are minor, correctable by you, or something that may make you say skip this.
Good luck with the deal, hoping it works out well for you, either way
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

I have found that a lot of surveyors know very little and are a waste of money. A good one is worth the money. You or someone needs to check everything. Better to find out now, rather than later. ( while you're at cruise speed, put your finger on the packing gland on each shaft. check for vibration. caused by bent shaft or out of alignment ) ( I use Progressive Insurance. Best price I found, no survey )
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Nice boat and you're going to love it. I have a 72 express, no FB, that's my favorite boat of all times. 72 degrees and the Sun is shining in Tennessee today and I'd be boating if not for getting up these damn leaves before tomorrow's rain. You're going to love the forum, welcome aboard.
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

Survey . State Farm requires one , not sure how one guy didn't need it. Looks like a great boat !
Welcome aboard !
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Greg Group is the big Marinette guy in the area but there are so many up there, I'm sure they all know a bunch.

15k is a bit steep. I have a 28 that I got for a bunch less but did a ton of cosmetic stuff to it.
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

I have had State Farm and Progressive(currently) and did not need a survey either time. Actually, I've never needed a survey to get insurance. (5 boats all over 32') .And the State Farm one was for a 1964 37' Owens Grenada, only four years ago! That was a damn sweet boat too..And another one a 1955 Matthews, three years ago!
Never needed a survey for insurance on an aluminum boat. The surveyors in Marblehead love Marinettes and other aluminum boats. Easy afternoon of work. They know the company. Is this at Midway?
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

I read recently that when you get excited about a deal that your brain secretes a chemical that has an effect similar that of cocaine. Some call it deal fever, but the best way to combat this is a survey by an impartial party ($400 is a great price for a survey, but make sure the surveyor knows BigMs), and the next best way is with a checklist.

The surveyor who surveyed my boat eight years ago (for about $500) picked up on items I might have overlooked so to me it was worth it.

Good luck.

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
nascarjonb
Tin star

Post by nascarjonb »

martindesign wrote:I apologize if this is off topic but if you buy the boat check into the "no chassis ground" mine was isolated from the hull and the more research I did the more info that said they should be common grounded Ac, and DC to the hull. Seemed counterproductive to me as well since you wouldn't want to have the hull grounded but it will always be through either the horn or throttle cables etc. Since I rewired and grounded the hull I have no corossion issues anymore. Just my .02 and experience. Good luck, sounds nice.

i should have been more specific, i meant to say that all accessories such as depth sounders, gages, radio, gps, ect... should have their own dedicated ground and not be grounded to the hull... atleast that is what i have read... this seems to be true for this boat from what i have seen... i know the motor and the neg battery post should be connected to hull ground...but that is another topic....

The boat is out of the water and has been winterized and shrink wrapped... he put a door in for me to access the boat which i did a few weeks ago i will be doing this Saturday... From what i was told he kept the boat as Bass Haven.. i plan on inquiring about docking there for 2016... called a few surveyors and 2 out of the 4 knew what boat i was talking about and both told me the owner is very anal about maintenance and upkeep...this may be a good sign for me, thanks to all of you for the advise, what i may do is check over the boat as the list describes, if i see anything that may be questionable in my mind i will get a survey. I will also make a call into insurance and see what they say...
1986 28 fisherman
twin chryser 360's
Marblehead, Ohio
wmgill
Tin star

Post by wmgill »

As mentioned, most insurers will require one anyway, but even if yours doesn't, a survey is 2 to 3.5% of what you plan to pay for the boat, or a little more than a fill-up. In my opinion, that's pretty cheap peace of mind.
HIATUS
on Lake St. Clair
32' Sedan Bridge
Twin 360 Chrysler Marines
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

For $400 I doubt you are going to get much out of a survey that you can't see for yourself, anyhow. Surveyors don't do engine diagnostics. Or really system diagnostics. Mostly the survey will read "appears in working order" or in working order. "Appears sound", "could use serviced".. Those kinds of things. Like I said it's a used boat.. Some stuff gonna work, some stuff gonna not, some stuff that work now gonna break later.. The fact that the guys you talked to know the boat and the owner and give it a thumbs up is probably all you need to know. Bass Haven is nice. Have fun. I'm at Lake Front Marina in Port Clinton. I love it. No long channel to go down to get to the lake. Check it out if you are thinking of shopping for marinas.
Enjoy!
Sean
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH