New steering wheel

Things that are of general interest.
Seanik
Tin star

New steering wheel

Post by Seanik »

After installing the Seamaster hydraulic steering system I wanted a new steering wheel. I like big wheels, I guess it goes back to the days when I owned a 1955 Buick with no power steering, it took a big wheel to turn my first ride. The wheel on my 1987 28' is somewhat big about 20"s but has spokes protruding around it's outer ring and the spokes bang my knees while steering since I raised the helm seat about 2"s. I ordered a used 18" SS destroyer wheel off eBay, made an offer and got a good deal 35.00 + shipping. I hope this works out.
The weather has been warm around here for December and I have been under the shrink wrap puttering around, thinking about rebuilding both carbs. I got a price out of town at 185.00 each + shipping, their Rochester quadrajets. I had trouble with one of the carbs leaking fuel this summer, took it off cleaned it a bit, probably stuck float and it preformed well. After dis-assembling the quadrajet I feel confident that I can rebuild the carbs myself, found the right kits online (Mikes carb parts) 31.95 + 9.00 for brass floats. Also local Walmart sells a gallon of soaking carb cleaner with part container for 22.00. The next project, keeps the winter blues at bay
Seanik (Jerry)
Presque Isle Bay, Erie Pa
US army veteran
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: New steering wheel

Post by Fastjeff »

I use one (from my old Marinette upper helm) on my dink boat! Looks kinda weird but I like I.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

So you finally found a use for an upper helm !
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Hah!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington