speed of a 37 with twin 440's

Things that are of general interest.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Re: speed of a 37 with twin 440's

Post by legendlc »

Yea I live on Cumberland I am all to aware of the roof collapse issues. Luckily my marina was on top of it(literally) and swept their roofs so no issues. Only one in the lake now with no issues and of course my slip is empty so there you go.
Thanks for the info on the surveyor and the boat is currently on the hard. Belive me I have stared at these pics trying to figure out how someone can let the hull get that bad. Lots of blasting is needed. It is what it is and currently that is a mess. Hopefully going to revisit her over the weekend to try and either talk myself into or out of the purchase. Oh and the boat is not at Cumberland. She was a KY riverboat it appears but has been a lot eat for many years it looks like.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
TheScottFraser

Post by TheScottFraser »

We have a 39 with 440's. First of all. The sound that the 440 makes will tighten the front of your pants. It's like a day at the drag strip when they are just idling at the dock. With just the two of us and a very light load of fuel I have seen 35 on the GPS. Our engines have right at 900 hours. They will last forever if maintained and not ran like you are actually at the drag strip. We usually cruse at 20mph. Good fuel economy. Good ride and speed. Good wake etiquette also. It has a large bass boat killer wake when you just hang on the edge of plane. Uses lots of gas doing that also.
1985 marinette 39AC
1988 Oday 272 sailboat
1986 Boston whaler 13'
And more motorcycles then could ever be deamed appropriate.
The Captain and I live in woodstock, Ga.
Our boat is on Lake Lanier
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Hopefully going to do some more digging in tomorrow. Basically going to try and inspect blocks for cracks from freezing, water in oil etc. Then checking continuity of wiring etc. If motors cracked etc that's not of big as a concern as wiring. If wiring is shot I'm walking.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

If a block is cracked, I'd RUN away!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

To the original poster and speed of boat question, ... Mine is a no fly bridge 39 sedan with 440's and I can get 38 mph @ 4000/4100 rpm 60 gallons of fuel, and no water in the spring with a whistle clean fresh bottom. I just relaunched last Sat, and got 37 with 80 to 100 gallons of fuel and a good amount of gear collected up over the years but no water. We had a 30 mile run to the marina so got to play around a lot. It was the first time with the new 19x20 DQX props. I bought them last fall in MI. as I had been loosing rpm and speed in late season and as time went by and the boat just keeps getting more stuff onboard. The new DQX's at 20" of pitch have got me back within 1 mph of my best ever with the 22 dyna quads and almost no gear aboard when I bought it.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.