speed of a 37 with twin 440's

Things that are of general interest.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

speed of a 37 with twin 440's

Post by legendlc »

I have been following the forum for a few months awaiting approval to post. I understand that these boats seem to be very trim sensitive. Also very balance sensitive. A couple of questions.
Is a 37 capable of planning if balance and trim are optimal ?
What cruising speed is the norm for these babies with a decently clean bottom, and mid life engines etc?
I know everything is subjective etc. Just general thoughts.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: speed of a 37 with twin 440's

Post by Fastjeff »

Trust me; unless those motors are totally worn out--and you don't have an NFL team aboard--she'll pop out of the water and plane nice as pie! ANd trim--unless it's major league screwed up--won't be a problem.

A case in point: My old 32 footer (360s) would LEAP out of the water at half throttle, and it would easily hold a plane down to 2,000 rpms (while making a full lock,, 360 degree turn! My boating buddy--with his stodgy Sea Ray--was stunned.) I had to warn people "Going up!" or they go flying--and that's at a gradually throttle up. These boat love to plane.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
l98ycar

Post by l98ycar »

I have a 1978 '37 dual cabin with 440's - bought it last summer. with the starbord engine down on power (bad intake valve on cyl 1), it would run about 28 mph at 4000 rpm port / 3800 rpm starbord, thinking now with the head re-built it should do 30 mph at a little over 4000 rpm. It likes to cruise at around 3000 rpm / around 24 mph. Will stay on top to low 20's. My trim tabs are somewhat intermittent - they do help but do not have a huge impact. The boat is showing 1600 hrs but the engines (at least the starboard one I had the head off of) were re-built at some point (.030 over) so I cannot really quantify when in engine life they are. Comes right out of the water and is fairly flat with the tabs in a neutral position.
Scott
1978 Marinette '37 Dual Cabin
440 Chryslers
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Pretty good when you consider that not too many plastic boats that size could do 28 mph without big thirsty diesels.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

You got it, Joe! Marinettes are impressive boats.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

That is great news even though the days of poker runs etc are eeking past me as the family has taken over I still want to move a little. If this all comes together the poor M will be locked into Lake Cumberland unless hauled around the damn or transported. I refuse to own a houseboat that cruises at 12MPH. The last boat was a 34 Formula with 454's she ran well and it was nice as I was the first of my go fast buddies to switch to a cruiser. After the first few raftups and the realized all their girls were on my boat instead of crammed into their tiny cockpit things changed lol.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

A boating friend on mine said, long as his boat is moving he's happy.

Not me! Gotta be making progress.

Jeff (no trawlers for me)
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

I would strongly suggest a survey, as others have pointed out. If the marina has the ability to pull the boat I would suggest that as well so the hull can be inspected.
Here is the info on the surveyor that I used here in Louisville.
His family owned the Marinette dealership here in Louisville so he is very familiar with BigM .
Scroll down to to Peter Droppleman ( actually Droppleman, Peter )
http://acms-usa.com/usa/kentucky.html
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
1.52:1 Velvet Drives
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

Also, if the BigM has been at Lake Cumberland for a while, be aware that several dock roofs collapsed under snow and ice loads (Jan 2016) and the boats were holding the collapsed roofs up, several sank or partially sank.
Google Lake Cumberland docks snow damage and you should get several hits.
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
1.52:1 Velvet Drives
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Many insurance companies require a recent dry dock survey before they will insure when a boat that size is purchased.

I recently was shopping for insurance thought I could save a few bucks. Everyone wanted a new survey... that was a deal breaker for me. There was no savings just additional pain in the...

safe harbors,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain