Replacing cutlass bearing

Things that are of general interest.
shelbygt
Tin star

Replacing cutlass bearing

Post by shelbygt »

Have a local machine shop making a new prop shaft. Is it a chore replacing cutlass bearing? Was thinking I'd try a big C clamp with an over size socket on one end and remove it that way. Thoughts?

Is there another cutlass bearing behind packing box?

Also is there a tool for removing cap on packing box? Want to repack box while I'm replacing drive shaft.
1962 Marinette 31' Express
Single Gray Marine AMC 327

1955 Feathercraft Deluxe Runabout
Mercury 500

1976 Saquaro Jet Boat
Ford 460
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Replacing cutlass bearing

Post by EWRice »

Cutless bearing replacement can be anything from a simple "remove the set screws and tap it out with a screwdriver handle" to "can't find the remains of the set screws and sombody put a bronze bearing in so the strut tube split from corrosion and a drop leg cracked" (the later was my stbd strut). Make sure your puller fits tight to the strut tube with contact as large as possible, or it could mushroom the alluminum and bind the bearing.

No bearing in the shaft log.

DO NOT USE A BRONZE REPLACEMENT BEARING. Use only the phenolic bearing. Anybody who questions how important this is, I can send pictures of my strut to. Had to remove the strut and put it in a press. 14.5 tons to break it loose.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
shelbygt
Tin star

Post by shelbygt »

So the only bearing to replace is in the strut tube?

Did you buy a strut bearing puller?

Mercury 500

1976 Saquaro Jet Boat
Ford 460
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

It is great you have joined the Marinette Community. Shaft logs and Cutless bearings are critical part of your Big M. If done improperly or carelessly the result can be a disaster. If you have not done this kind of work ask around your yard and also check on our Big M folks... maybe someone can help you with the project. As mentioned by others... they can be easy in and out... In my 50 years of messing with them I have not had many go smoothly! There are special tools available to assist with the removal. Like others I have had to fight and saw the darn things out which can take hours! Also you mentioned working on the packing gland. Removal is straight forward. Couple of Monkey Wrenches and the packing nuts will spin off. The important part is the shaft log hose. THIS IS NOT YOUR NORMAL COOLANT HOSE! It is designed for shaft logs and must be able to withstand a lot of twist and vibration. If it breaks down she goes! Your local marine yard or Marine supplier like West Marine will have it.

Here is a link for the log hose that might help: http://www.fisheriessupply.com/norscot- ... t-log-hose

Best of luck and keep us posted on your result

safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
bobv
Tin star

Post by bobv »

When I changed mine I cut through it with a hack saw and carefully peeled it out with a chisel makeing sure not to cut the aluminum strut,
I cleaned up the strut and then epoxied the new one in . Make sure your new one is non metallic. I pressed the new one in after epoxy with a threaded rod and large washers.
Good Luck with it
Bob
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

If you Google Deep Blue Yacht Supply they sell non metallic bearings and they aren't that expensive.

Also another good source for the proper packing box hose is a company called Buck Algonquin. you can buy their products through jamestowndistributors.com

Most people (including marine mechanics and shops) do NOT fully understand Marinettes, aluminum, or corrosion and a non metallic bearing is critical as others have noted.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
shelbygt
Tin star

Post by shelbygt »

Well, turns out my cutlass was replaced with a metallic sleeve bearing. I'll cut this thing out, I guess.

Mercury 500

1976 Saquaro Jet Boat
Ford 460
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

No guessing, it must GO !!!
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
shelbygt
Tin star

Post by shelbygt »

DougDoty wrote:No guessing, it must GO !!!
You're right. It was a blessing in disguise that I needed to replace my driveshaft. That bearing would have sat down there causing problems and I would have never known.

Mercury 500

1976 Saquaro Jet Boat
Ford 460
Wilfred
Tin star

Post by Wilfred »

Does anyone have a feel for cutless bearing lifespan?
W. J. Brockman
1984 Marinette Express Bridge
Twin 318s 235 hp
Bolles Harbor, Michigan