raw water sea strainer replacement

Things that are of general interest.
JEB
Tin star

Re: raw water sea strainer replacement

Post by JEB »

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Buck-Algo ... 02350.html

This is what I found to replace the sea strainers.
Looks to be almost a direct replacement
Cost is 119 each but they are solid bronz and the hose size is what's on my boat now.
I found these in stock and they are a older model but new old stock. The new model with domed lid is over 400 bucks!

I'll let you know how this works out.
Doing a search on this site the sea strainers on our boats are a constant source of problems so hopefully this will be a good fix.

JB
JEB
Tin star

Post by JEB »

Thanks Bill, those look nice and I would go with that if I didn't find the new old stock bronz ones.
Hopefully they will be solid and reliable and should fit rite in the same space and same hose.
I'm gonna replace the intake hose while I'm doing it.
They look like a newer version of the stock units. I sure hope they work better!!!
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

JEB wrote:Thanks Bill, those look nice and I would go with that if I didn't find the new old stock bronz ones.
Hopefully they will be solid and reliable and should fit rite in the same space and same hose.
I'm gonna replace the intake hose while I'm doing it.
They look like a newer version of the stock units. I sure hope they work better!!!
BigM
Thanks for your post. :D

bill :geek:

:idea: How about adding a signature to your posts? :idea:
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

I need one of the gaskets for the pancake style, I local marine dealer got me one but could only get one and I think it was from Buck, I think they may be out at this time. Any spares floating around, My strainers are like new and I want to keep them original as with all things on the boat but the second gasket is getting real hard and is not sealing anything like the new one. I bought some 3/16" vacuum hose for the fast Jeff trick but would rather have the original setup.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
RBrown
Tin star

Post by RBrown »

Someone posted several years ago that the sea strainers were made by San Juan Engineering & Manufacturing. They are who I ordered my replacements from. In 2010 they were $5.00 each.

San Juan Engineering & Manufacturing Co.
4562 Wynn Rd.
Bellingham, WA. 98226
360-734-1910

Rob
1986 39' Marinette Double Cabin
Misty Blue
350 HP. Crusaders
Home Port: New Buffalo, MI.
RBrown
Tin star

Post by RBrown »

I forgot to mention. We had a cover gasket sealing issue on both of our strainers. We found that there was a small step in the gasket sealing surface by the strainer inlet and outlet. The step was at the seam where both halves of the mold mated. We machined the gasket surface to remove the step.
I also found a interesting picture of someone's method to seal the cover.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx_Pc ... DRWZzFGd0U

Rob
1986 39' Marinette Double Cabin
Misty Blue
350 HP. Crusaders
Home Port: New Buffalo, MI.