Fuel Filter

Things that are of general interest.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Fuel Filter

Post by Tuggle »

As I dig through the fuel system comes the filters. There are two bronze filter housings, copper lines in and out, just forward of the fuel tank, began to screw the top off the port housing only to have it stop about an inch up. Did not want to pry it off for fear of breaking something, help. My thought is these contain drop in elements, if so does anyone know what filter cartridge it may be? Have spin on mounts and filters to retrofit but if I can get these to work I'll leave in place for double filtering.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Re: Fuel Filter

Post by jmonday »

Can you take a photo??
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

I learned my lesson with the double filtering thing...

Made ghosts that lasted for months and I replaced $150 worth of good parts to find a $2 problem was the culprit. One day it took me 6 hours to get 5 miles and for the life of me, couldn't figure it out. :lol:
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

I learned my lesson too . Had spin/on filters & went back to stock per Fastjeff advise. Mine get hard to open sometimes & I but some "bead blaster lub" on it & come back and unscrew it off. The plug at bottomj is where you drain water out.
You may need to use a pipe wrench to hold the body of the fiter. The inside cartage you can clean with carb cleaner & reuse.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
bobv
Tin star

Post by bobv »

These brass filters can be cleaned with carb cleaner
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Alright got it off, Perko 299, one has a something resembling a filter in it, the other has nothing, hence all the trash in the carb. Does anyone still use these, nice housing seems a shame not to put them back in service?
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Tuggle wrote:Alright got it off, Perko 299, one has a something resembling a filter in it, the other has nothing, hence all the trash in the carb. Does anyone still use these, nice housing seems a shame not to put them back in service?
Those Perko filters use a ceramic cartridge, good for many years of service, easy to clean. They should be available at a parts supplier though it may take a little digging. or perhaps, someone here has a spare. If I read your post correctly, you are contemplating using the filter housing without a filter installed - don't. You need the protection.

(also, this is a good thread for a picture so we can be certain we are talking about the same unit)
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Was planning on using it in conjunction with a new spin on set up. Let the fuel go threw the perko first then threw the Wix spin on. Hopefully between the two I can keep the carbs clean. With the advent of fuel injection carburetor rebiulders are few and far between, not to mention expensive!
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Jeff Perry used an inexpensive in-line filter quite effectively. There is (at least there was on my 318) a little fingertip sized filter where the fuel line enters the carb. Jeff might respond here and point you to details on what he used. A lot cheaper than installing a pair of spin ons. I thought the old Perkos were much more effective than the new Racors.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I mounted a NAPA 5/16 size metal in-line filter in the metal line going to the carb. Cut the steel line and use A-1 USCG approved hoses with double hose clamps. Easy to change, and avoids vibration failures (seen two of them that could have been disastrous) with bolted in filters.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington