Sunken 32`

Things that are of general interest.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Sunken 32`

Post by EWRice »

Never be afraid of a boat that sunk, as long as it was fresh water. I have repaired many boats that have seen varying levels of water in them. The wiring is not usually an issue, however any electrical component that went under will be. Garaunteed. Maybe not this season, or next, or even 5 years from now. It will be a problem at some point. Battery chargers, disconnect switches, solenoids, starters, alternators, blowers, water pumps, and the most overlooked item, the basic switch. This is always a good opportunity to upgrade things. Get everything out that has soaked up water and get her dried out before anything else. Check all water logged parts for fuel/oil, since it will most likely have coated everything that went under water. Good luck!
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Water is brackish. I've been told a true marine grade wire is tinned by individual strand and should be able to survive a temporary submersion, granted the wires aren't connected to a power source when submerged (which these weren't, sadly if they were the boat would not have sunk). Boat was under for less than 4 hours I've been told. So far the plan with wiring is to inspect it, cut existing connectors off and install new connectors and shrink wrap. WATER REMOVAL- Marina informed me today that the purchase price of the boat included any oil/fuel removal and water removal from boat!! So hopefully good to go there. For future reference, I deal with alot of water damage at work and use Mold Control, available at Home Depot. No harsh smell and I've had better luck with it than bleach when it comes to mold.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
nonferrous
New poster

Post by nonferrous »

My '87' 32 FB sunk part way a few weeks ago, the lift broke and the plug was out. We got it up the next day and it's pretty much dried out, it does not look much different except that the carpet and seat covers are gone. I am thinking that it needs 318 long blocks, rebuilds on the starters and Carbs, I am sure that the Velvet Drive reduction gears are good with a fluid change. The engines have fresh water cooling. I had put in a new Raritan 6 gallon Water Heater for 1 trip
It has a 16'000 BTU Cruise air, 6.5 KW Onan, Crown head with a 35 gallon holding tank and a 3 way pump out system, 2 Jabsco Remote control spotlights, a Good windless with a Danforth and 200 ft of 5/8th's rode.
I would like to sell it for scrap or rebuild, it's in Florida, Can anyone give me a number that would be fair both ways.
Thanks
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

So just to keep everyone updated thats interested. We've been plugging away at this ol' girl for a couple weekends. All trash has been removed and cleaned up, except engine bay....thats gonna need alot of love once the motors are out. Teak came back quite nice. We are currently getting her electrical system back up and running, fixing circuits and testing as we go. WORKING SO FAR: all cabin lights, fridge, horn, other lights, pumps, radio, instrument clusters, sure im forgetting some. Ill get some pictures in photobucket sooner or later. Any advise on straightening a bent rudder?
Twin Chrysler 318's
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

If your rudder blade is basically OK and it's just the shaft that is bent, a local machine shop could slice out the old shaft and weld a new one in for cheap.

I did this about 3 years ago. The rudder was not bent, but I found out the shaft was extremely corroded.

There's also a BigM rudder for sale on Ebay right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marinette-Rudde ... oL&vxp=mtr
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
youbwild
New poster

Post by youbwild »

Had a 32 go down last spring at our Marina. Owner had motors drained and flushed immediately. He bought the boat back from the insurance company for $500 and was back in the water before most boats were in for the season. Used it all summer and sold it this spring for a larger boat.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Where are you located? If you're in Ohio, there is a shop in Dayton that made me a set of stainless steel rudders for $300. Craftsmanship was excellent.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

lake charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
WRHogan
New poster

Post by WRHogan »

I also own a 1985, 32' Sadan project, I have owned and restored 6-7 project boats, 25' Starcraft,28' sand pan, 30' Drirt-R-Cruz, 30' Gibson, 40' River Queen, 40' Kings Craft, 50' Gibson and this 32' Marinette. As well as scores of small boats, The Drift R Cruz Was a glass hull which had went down in a muddy fresh water lake and was under more than a week before it was lifted and set on a trailer, the person I got it from had opened or removed all the windows and let it set in the Arkansas weather after pumping all the water out of the Bottom the engine had been flushed and pickled, I got it several months later. Pressure washed the inside and out, I had to replace the throw out bearing in the cluch, the alternator, a few switches and gauges, I used electronic cleaner on all switches where I could, lubed all cables and changed all fluids, I expected lots of electrical issues but had vary few. It was sitting with hot batteries whenever it was flipped by a storm, most of engine room was a hanging greasy mess, lots of elbow grease, fun later we used it most summer weekends for 4 years, with little or no problems. I have not been afraid to take on another boat which had had a bath. The 30' Gibson also went down from a deck leak and dead battery. I cleaned it, started and changed fluids in engines. And traded it for a different project. Enjoy and keep up posted on your progress. If you deside to part it out I am in Arkansas and would be interested in parts thanks have fun!
W.R.Hogan
Arkansas River Rat
32' 1985 Sadan project, Ms. K
;)
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Wow, what a project! Where did you live? If close enough, perhaps some of our members could give you a hand.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington