Sunken 32`

Things that are of general interest.
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Sunken 32`

Post by honestcharlie56 »

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1990 32 sedan that recently went under. Only partially sank, tied up on stbd side so port went under. Was pulled after only being down for a few hours or so. I'm assuming interior soft parts are trash. Most wood looks fine and I believe I can dry this out and refinish. Previous owner took the boat out, was having engine trouble with Port, pulled port apart, didnt plug thruhulls, and the rest is history. The boat had dead batteries that were unhooked and no shore power connected when she went down. I know from a money stand point this doesnt make sense, but I would like some opinions on what might be salvageable. Once the papers are signed I'll start a new thread about her resto!
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: Sunken 32`

Post by barkleydave »

IMHO scrap it out. Use funds buy a floater scrap value is close to what some nice 32s are selling for.

Dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

We looked into scrapping her, scrap value ended up being less than costs to load and haul. Unless I'm missing something on scrap values...... So, purchase price is literally almost nothing and I'm a sucker for projects. I have seen a few 32 sedans for less than 20k though, floating and in good condition.
Twin Chrysler 318's
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

The Big M market is certainly underwater (pun intended!) which is sad for those trying to sell. Buyers market.

safe boating,
dave
Retired USCG Captain
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

ya it is sad to see em so cheap. I knew this particular boat before it sank, just sold for 20k in good shape in clear lake, texas. Still named "Hubba"
Twin Chrysler 318's
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Over my life I have considered taking on such projects, such as fiberglass boats with rotten wood stringers, but got my M at a pretty good price. That said, one project I had considered was to shrink wrap the boat and run a couple dehumidifiers inside of it all summer. I figured with the heat of summer and the dehumidifiers running non stop (with the drain pans on the dehumidifiers plumbed out the boat drain plugs) would dry most of it out, including the woodwork. My only concern would've been the wiring. If it was cheap enough, and I had the time, I'd go for it. Hate to see a good boat, especially an M, go to waste.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

ill let everyone know as it progresses, I'll be starting a restoration thread. One thing I'm amazed at is the lack of reading material on the net for these boats! This forum is about all I've found, with the exception of random topics on other forums. So I'll take plenty of pics and try to be as detailed as possible. Obviously, first step is to break out the oilsorb pads to soak up the oil and transfluid in the bilge and pump the remaining water out.
Twin Chrysler 318's
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

With water sitting in the boat that long, the first step should be to discard non-reusable stuff asap-est and spray everything with a mild bleach solution to kill the mold that almost certainly has started to grow. If you don't stop that stuff in its tracks you will have a permanent unwanted condition. Get the interior dry. Even a window fan will be effective if you can't set up a dehumidifier. Then, go after the oil. Good luck with the project
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Huge project at least it went down in freshwater

Safety first

Dave
Retired USCG Captain
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Always heard that once wirring has been under water you will have a lot of problems. Don't forget one fuel tank will have water in it too.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"