Oil Plug

Things that are of general interest.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Oil Plug

Post by Tuggle »

Is the oil drain plug on the front or rear of the pan, 318? After buying fittings, hose and valves was told the plug is on the front and you still can't get all the oil out. If this is the case, other than through the dip stick, what if any other way is there?
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Oil Plug

Post by GB49 »

The oil plug is worthless.

If you have pre 1987'ish Chryslers you have to remove it from dip stick hole. You can shove some small trim tab hose down the tube or you can use a small wrench and completely remove the stick from the block (oil is below block hole). It is much easier to sneak rigid hose into the hole and down to the bottom of the pan. Youll never get it all out. Measure what you remove to get an idea how much is still in pan.

If you have post 1987'ish Chryslers you will have hose threads on top of dipstick tube. Much easier to remove oil. I believe the stick tube also went down to bottom of pan unlike our older engines.

I have wondered if its possible to drill the pan and fasten a valve (Fumoto) for easy drainage. I doubt you could tap the pan since it is probably paper thin. Would have to use a collar nut on the inside and some thread lock??

-Karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Per my research, and purchase, the pan plug is a 1/2"-20, if in fact the plug is in the front, the dip stick would would be further back and thus deeper in the pan. Guess I need a more efficient pump, I'll find out tomorrow.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Agree on the tap, the collar you make reference to is known as a bulkhead fitting, only problem there is pan removal.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

On my 87 Engines are actually log type 86 (was common to that year changing over to center dumps)
I remove the dip stick tube (does not go down to bottom of pan)

I use a suction type oil changer. I have used the same one of lots of boats for 12 years and still going strong. Really does a nice job. I found this one on line and is very similar to the one I bought 12 years ago. Well worth the $ Just remember to warm up engine first. Great for Trans also.

http://www.iboats.com/Oil-Fluid-Extract ... id.1791237

safe harbors,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Well to confirm the oil plug is on the front of the pan. After a lot of considerations I decided not to install the hose, one of the biggest fears was with the age I might very well pull the threads out along with the plug. If the day comes for a re power think I'll look into installing a fitting on the rear-side of the pan. Until then looks like the dipstick method. Better pump.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Oil vacuums out of these fairly easily. I used to get nearly every drop out, for they took 6 quarts to bring the level up to full. TO do it, I removed the dipstick assembly from the block and stuck in a 1/4 inch steel brake tube (connected to a vacuum source). Being an oddball tinker, I used an old propane tank for a receiver, and the other engine for a vacuum source. Neat and clean.

Jeff
Attachments
oil-tank.jpg
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Excellent idea. What port are you drawing the vacuum from?
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

The PCV port on the carb. I also used it to suck the oil out of the filter, to reduce that mess as well.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington