net wt.

Things that are of general interest.
Butchel
Tin star

net wt.

Post by Butchel »

I am in the process of obtaining a transporter, via uship, for the 39' convertible I just purchased. The ad in Yachtworld (YW#78999-2814902) specifies the beam as 13'-8" and the net weight to be 24,000lb. From looking at ads for similar Marinettes, I think the beam might be 13'-6" and the net weight closer to 15,000lb. Does anybody out there know? It makes a difference to the transporters. I'm a newbie and a babe in the woods so stand by for a flurry of dumb questions. Thanx.
RBrown
Tin star

Re: net wt.

Post by RBrown »

The beam on our 39 is supposed to be 13' 6". I have never actually measured it. As for the weight, the operator of the Travel Lift indicated that our boat weighed around 18,500 pounds according to the Travl Lift scale. Your convertible should weigh less since it does not have the aft cabin.

Congratulations & good luck on your purchase.

Rob
1986 39' Marinette Double Cabin
Misty Blue
350 HP. Crusaders
Home Port: New Buffalo, MI.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

I was told by my previous owner that my 37' weighs 18,500 as well, but mine is not an aft cabin. I have the original spec sheet on mine, and it states the beam is 13' 8". I can tell you that to haul it to Tx. the flybridge will have to be removed and lowered down onto the lower roof, possibly even remove the seat pedestals. Mine was transported, over land, from the Chicago/Gary area over to Lake Erie which required bridge removal. Even on a "low-boy" trailer, I measured mine at over 15 feet high (the average semi trailer is 13' 6") It may seem daunting at first, but if you are mechanically inclined, it's not so bad. The dash/instrument panel(s) should be plug & play. The most difficult parts would be all the railings and the screws that hold it all together, and also the steering system. Mine is equipt with a Hynautics three line hydraulic steering, and requires a specific bleeding procedure after it's re-assembled. Doing the bridge yourself will probably save some $$$. Ask anything, there are a lot of Marinette savvy Captains here, no question is dumb. I think after settling in with her, you will love your M.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

I stand corrected !! Went back and looked over all my paperwork, width is 13' 6", shipping weight 16,500Lbs. I was lucky, as all previous owners kept good records of her, including the original Bill of Sale !
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

On FB removal..someone long ago posted that you must carefully mark all cables so you don't go berserk on reattachment
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Butchel
Tin star

Post by Butchel »

Yeah, the yard in Maryland is going to remove the FB and set it on the foredeck. They say it can be lowered to the 13'-6" height restriction when loaded on a low boy trailer. We'll see. Good point on the marking of cables. I assume that means electrical cables. I don't know if the steering is hydraulic or mechanical. I'm hoping to peel the FB canopy and enclosure before shipping to Texas. Thanks to all for the spec info. I gave uship a net weight of 15,000lb. That may be a bit light. Would the 250hp diesel engines be heavier than gas?
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Mark EVERYTHING, and make double sure the control lever operates what it should BEFORE starting the engines. Mr Doofus switched them once and it cost me an engine.

Jeff (AKA Mr. Doofus)

PS: The color code of the wires might not be useful due to fading. If so, you'll have to masking tape and mark each wire. A bit of effort here will pay huge dividends later on.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Butchel
Tin star

Re: FB removal

Post by Butchel »

Fly bridge removal and replacement, it seems, is fraught with danger. The broker has promised to oversee the preparation and loading operation. I had not planned to go to Maryland. May have to re-think that. I'll talk directly to the boatyard manager about marking control cables and wires to avoid confusion. The old "ounce of prevention..." maxim applies here. Mr. Doofus must not prevail!
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

If it were my boat, I'd have myself or my representative on hand for the preps. If the broker represents you that means he is your agent and has a duty to you. If he was the seller's broker and is expediting things as a nice guy you will just have to trust him because if something goes off the rails, he'll say "sorry" and you have an apology but that is it. You may not have the time to get there but get someone to be in charge of your interest even if you have to shell out a few bucks.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

If it were my boat, I'd have myself or my representative on hand for the preps. If the broker represents you that means he is your agent and has a duty to you. If he was the seller's broker and is expediting things as a nice guy you will just have to trust him because if something goes off the rails, he'll say "sorry" and you have an apology but that is it. You may not have the time to get there but get someone to be in charge of your interest even if you have to shell out a few bucks.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD