Ohio River Lock & Dam woes

Things that are of general interest.
jralbert
Site Admin

Ohio River Lock & Dam woes

Post by jralbert »

For those of you in the midwest and boat in those waters, the New York Times has a an interesting piece on the fragile state of repairs on the lock system on the Ohio - specifically locks 52 and 53. In summary, it says the ancient locks are in such bad shape it is taking tows much longer to pass through and that is costing multi-million dollars in extra shipping costs. The dam wickets are wearing out, among other needed repairs. A new replacement dam is way behind schedule and over budget -- quadruple the original cost. When it's finished, they'll blow up the old structures.

Check it out. It's one of the many, many things that come under the heading of infrastructure
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Rob
Tin star

Re: Ohio River Lock & Dam woes

Post by Rob »

The Olmsted Lock and Dam project is a huge engineering feat. 1 of a kind custom crane too. Lots of $$$$. I remember the Markland dam lost it door a few years ago.
1973 32' FB Express
Cincinnati, Ohio
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

It's quite an article. I thought we had it bad in the Pittsburgh District until I read that article. All three of the locks downstream from Pittsburgh are in terrible shape--the newest one was completed around 1936. Emsworth, which is just downstream from Pittsburgh is in a constant state of repair and had the small chamber closed from just after the Fourth of July weekend through most of August. Dashields, the next one is the the best shape and Montgomery had the small chamber closed for much of the summer. The Corps just completed a multi-year study (something like 14 years) and determined that all three are in bad shape. While it might be logical to replace all three with one dam, that would involve changing river levels too much so the favorite plan is to rehabilitate all three (Montgomery has a big crack in it so they need to figure out how to fix that.) and install new large chambers in place of the current system of one large and one small chamber--so each dam would have two big chambers. If I understand correctly the public comment is on for the next couple of years. The Corps has closed a few locks on the upper Allegheny with no plans to replace them. (I suppose there is not enough or no commercial traffic in that area.)
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Deanjmarinette30
New poster

Post by Deanjmarinette30 »

We have similar issue with locks on KY River from Carrollton to Frankfort.
Seems to be renewed interest and the lock masters and office in Frankfort have been very helpful and excited. Past two years we've had a group of 6 boats make the trip from Frankfort to Louisville . The lock masters were super to work with!
Wish we could get more of the upper locks re opened !