Re-power 318 to 360

Things that are of general interest.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Re-power 318 to 360

Post by Tuggle »

Can 360's be used in place of 318's? Think I'm at the point of seriously considering a re-power, fixed one engine and now having problems with the other. Before any more money is spent I'm of the opinion cut your losses, bite the bullet and replace them. That moves me to the 360 question, I think they are the same dimensions as a 318 but the fly wheels are different. Have access to two 360's at a reasonable price. Don't want to reuse the originals because they spent there first ten years in saltwater.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Re-power 318 to 360

Post by javalin390 »

The two are essentially identical, but the flywheels may be different, there are a few engine builders on this forum that know for sure. The only other issue I would worry about is the transmissions. Mine being a 360 boat, has the 1:9 velvet drives with the bigger prop shafts. Don't know if the 1:1's can handle the extra HP ( although it's only an extra 25 HP each, if in stock form)
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Not overly concerned about the extra HP, well within spec's for 71c's, main concern is fitment and ease of swap, don't want to get into the nightmare of custom a fit for a few extra HP. One concern is the flywheels, plan on going back with new Arco Starters and want to be sure they have the correct tooth count.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

As a complete replacement engine, they are direct replacements. Starters and all accessories will know no difference. If you can find complete running engines it is an easy swap.

If you are marinizing truck motors or using long blocks, you will run into 3 differences
Flywheel (balance, not diameter or ring gear)
Balancer (balance)
Oil pan
As far as I know, that is it, outside of the base engine.

As I have said before, be sure your engines need replaced. So often I find external fuel and electrical issues that are causing engine problems. My boat is the poster child for this. A few previous owners spent thousands on engine repair and even replacement trying to make the boat run right. When it came down to it, a junk fuel tank and horrible wiring was causing almost all the issues. Good luck!
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson