Bow Hatch

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Bow Hatch

Post by ddependo »

I just set on top of screen. Screen holds it in.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Ours has a cushion that is tucked in the hatch opening. It's covered with the same material as our curtains. I thought the previous owner did it for insulation purposes since he ran the AC a lot. I have not experienced any condensation around the hatch but have some up toward the roof corner of the berth once in a while. The cushion did have some minor mold on it at the end of the season so there must be some moisture trapped in there.
I have not used the hatch but plan to this year.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
Jeepowell

Post by Jeepowell »

Foam plug under the hatch worked for me. I made it tight to hold in place. Place something in between layers to use as a pull tab to get it back out.
37' Marinette
360s
Aurora IN
Red5

Post by Red5 »

All of this is great but what do you do on the nights that you are sleeping in the forward birthing area? Nothing like a solid drop of water on your forhead while trying to sleep. ;)
37 Sedan Twin CAT 3208's "Under Way is the Only Way".
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Something I have considered, since I will be pulling my hatch out and blasting it, is to have the underside sprayed with a thin layer of closed cell foam, or urethane (think truck bed liner). I think the foam would work best and could be shaved down and painted to the point that it may only be noticed by the careful observer, but I fear my kids will stab it with all kinds of random things. The urethane would look good, can be tinted any color and sprayed on smooth. It may give just enough insulation to stop the problem.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

Just insulate it Temperature difference is the condensation cause, and always will be. As dependo said a thin piece of insulation on top the screen will do the trick.
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.