Options for changing out my fuel tanks.

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Red5

Options for changing out my fuel tanks.

Post by Red5 »

My 37 sedan is a 75 model. It has twin CAT 3208s. Over the years the diesel fuel has eaten it's way through the 2 150 gallon tanks. I'm looking at this and thinking that in order for me to remove and replace the two tanks that I would have to cut the entire rear out of the stern, remove a bunch of stuff, replumbe everything then reassemble the rear deck and have all of the aluminum re-welded back into place.

I don't want to do this. I'm looking for other options.

This boat was set up to travel a long distance. I don't use it for that. I can get by with a single 100 gallon tank.

Years ago I had this huge 9.5 kw gen set removed. Instead I run a solar panel and three large AGM batteries. My thoughts were that I could possibly mount a fuel tank in the center of the boat where my gen set used to be.

Thoughts?
37 Sedan Twin CAT 3208's "Under Way is the Only Way".
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Options for changing out my fuel tanks.

Post by javalin390 »

My 37' is the same, two massive fuel tanks mounted longitudinally, half under the rear deck, half under the cabin. I've looked at some 32's that have a single tank mounted width way's, where then gen normally sits on the 37', so I'm sure it could be done. But I know from looking at mine (also a 1975) that you would likely have to removed the rear decking and cut out the framework under the deck. From what I can see on mine, I don't think there would be any other way unfortunately
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

If you don't have to put the same tanks back in the same spots how about emptying the tanks as much as possible and then getting busy with a sawzall on those old tanks? Plenty of work but it might beat the alternative of pulling apart the back of the boat....
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

What about Bladders?
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
ironball

Post by ironball »

I would look into cutting out the old tanks and mounting multiple small tanks linked together so the only cutting done was to the old tanks. This would not be cheap but you would not cut your boat apart.
1988 Marinette 32' FBS
318's 240 hp
Pittsburgh, PA
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

just be careful cutting the tanks.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

honestcharlie56 wrote:just be careful cutting the tanks.
If you mean fire danger there is little to none, diesel is surprisingly hard to light on fire as are the fumes. It usually won't even start on fire when exposed to the flame of a propane torch. If you were using MAP gas or cutting torches, then diesel will burn, that is why I suggested a sawzall.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Red5

Post by Red5 »

I'd really like to find about a 100 gallon tank that will fit through my rear hatch and mount where my gen set used to be. Got any ideas?

How about a good place to shop for a fuel tank? Any suggestions?

Crazy thought but can you think of a good reason why I can't run a fuel tank that was built for an 18 wheeler?
Red5

Post by Red5 »

Tuggle wrote:What about Bladders?
This is a possibility. Got a good source? Was thinking that I could saw the tops out of the old tanks and fit the bladders in place.
Red5

Post by Red5 »

ironball wrote:I would look into cutting out the old tanks and mounting multiple small tanks linked together so the only cutting done was to the old tanks. This would not be cheap but you would not cut your boat apart.
I'm trying to be somewhat cost effective.