trim tabs

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

trim tabs

Post by ddependo »

Can any one tell me if the trim tabs stay where they are when you turn the ignition off?
Also I have to adjust tab a lot as if it is leaking down.
Any suggestions? fluid is full.
Thanks, Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: trim tabs

Post by EWRice »

If everything is tight, your tabs should stay in whatever spot you left them in until you hit the switch. If you have no external leaks, then you may have an internal valve leak. Do both sides do it or just one?
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

They both seam to retract between trips & starboard slowly retracts when running. No external leaks. How do I repair without buying new pump?
Thanks, Wayne
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Just thinking out loud here...
If the tabs both were retracting when under way, then the pressure of water passing against them is the cause of the retraction. The fault would be a valve within the pump or a seal that's allowing the now "underway" pressure to allow fluid to flow back into the reservoir. A rebuild kit may be the resolution.
The "fly in the ointment" here, the notation that the fact that both retract when the boat's idle. I can only think that there's some kind of residual pressure at the pump that's bleeding back allowing the tabs to retract. If so, then the same seal/valve issue is the issue to be resolved.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Check your resevoir vent to be sure it is clear. These are single acting systems, so there is only down pressure on the hydraulic cylinders. Springs and/or negative pressure retracts the cylinders. It is odd that they both retract when sitting, but only one retracts under load. Still sounds like leaking valve cartriges.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

My favorite response: what does the mfr say when you inquire? Post that advice here (I know, I know, it's easier to ask us to guess). Seriously, some of the tech depts I've encountered are very helpful
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Joel, you are correct Bennett has good trouble shooting videos. I may have trash in the seat or bad valve. Sometimes mfgs say" just buy a new one" I know our group is a cheap bunch. Fastjeff trained me well.

Wayne
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

ddependo wrote:Joel, you are correct Bennett has good trouble shooting videos. Wayne
Call 'em after you've watched the video.. They have loads of experience from customer encounters and real world situations we can never match. You can't talk back and ask questions of the videos. Then share here. You are hereby granted a news reporter license!
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Do call them. You'll be impressed at how nice and how helpful they are.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

You will likely find a solenoid valve leaking back to tank if not loosing fluid overall. They sell them as parts. I agree they are great people. Big Bennett fan here good company.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.