transom gate and swim platform

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
jeboniface
Tin star

transom gate and swim platform

Post by jeboniface »

I posted a few pics on a modification about a transom gate and larger swim platform and several readers asked for some details so I thought I'd start a thread for anyone interested in the topic.

The boat is a 1982 28' Sportsfisherman with twin V6 165 HP Crusaders. It is used for day outings with the family and fishing. I wanted better access to the water and lifting little kids and a yellow lab over the railing got old real fast so I came up with a solution. Cut a gate, add railings and larger swim platform. The swim platform was made by plasTEAK outside Akron, OH. It is made of recycled plastic. I made a cardboard template off the old short platform and simply extended it and sent them the form. It is aprox. 101.5 in. by 34 in. They have different colors to match your boat. https://www.plasteak.com. (I also used their sister company products for the flybridge deck and cabin sole. PlasDECK.com) The cost was $1380.00 and $245 for the under mount stainless ladder. I hired a local welder to remove the old platform and build braces similar to the original structure but with longer angle braces.
IMG_2380.jpg
The ladder and transom gate was added later. First the ladder with a temporary step. I bought the railing and hardware on line and a local machine shop made the bends. It was then just a matter of cutting the railing to length and mounting the hardware. The gate was also rather easy once I made sure all the cuts were aligned correctly. First I cut the inner panel, using a T square to make sure the cuts were vertical. Then again using the right angle guide to make sure the outside cuts were parallel to the inner ones. Drill a hole in the lower corners and I used a battery powered DeWalt Sawzall. I then sealed off the gap with high density 1/2 plastic boarding. Similar to a plastic cutting board, but any material would do. I used some 3/4 inch aluminum angle stock to mount the plastic. I was thinking about replacing the plastic with aluminum to keep with the Marinette theme. I have some of the board left and have some stainless hinges to make a gate but.....now it's boating season and I don't want to work on it with a drink in my hand!
IMG_0710.jpg
IMG_1278.jpg
IMG_1279.jpg
IMG_1282.jpg
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: transom gate and swim platform

Post by Fastjeff »

Damn nice work!

Diver Dan did one like that on his 37 footer (he used for scuba diving).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Piedmont Plastics quoted me $980.00 for for a solid piece of 1"x4'x12', Starboard-textured, and somewhere in the $300.00 range for CNC Routing. Would have to modify my current supports if not replace, wheels are turning. Have you filled the openings in the transom?
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Great job...

Now I know what the next project's gonna be! :-)

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jeboniface
Tin star

Post by jeboniface »

Tuggle wrote:Piedmont Plastics quoted me $980.00 for for a solid piece of 1"x4'x12', Starboard-textured, and somewhere in the $300.00 range for CNC Routing. Would have to modify my current supports if not replace, wheels are turning. Have you filled the openings in the transom?
Are you referring to the vertical openings? Yes they are filled in with the same plastic as the deck opening, I just don't have a close up pic of the finished project. I have not made the gate yet. I have the material and hinges but I try not to do projects during the season. My boat time is limited during the season so I end up just enjoying the weather and a cold one!

For the price quoted above you can have one made from PlasDECK. The supports would have to be redone. I suppose you could just mount the new platform on top of the old one but that would still need some angle supports. I wanted mine close to the water. Iwas concerned that it would hit the water when getting up on plane but it clears nicely.

I can say without a doubt it is one of the best modification to these boats. I can take some additional close up pics this weekend and post them for anyone interested in modifying their boat.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

On transom gate design...

There's two schools of thought: Should they open IN so no one can accidentally fall out, or should they open OUT so a following wave can't blast into your boat.

Opinions, please?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

A thought on the gate: use a vertical slat, the kind they use on many sailboats to keep water out of the cabin. Nothing to swing, minimal hardware. Could be fashioned out of indestructible Starboard or teak. easy to store (vertically in slots on the side of the deck).
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

One modification to Joel's great idea...
Storage...
When you have the sides open in the transom, one could cut a slot in the adjacent area of the transom's top section for the slat. The open side would allow assurance of needed clearance for the slat when it slides into place. Trim the top of the cutout with teak or aluminum. When the slat needs to be stored, it would slip down into the slot. The top of the slat will have a grip fashioned into it to lift out of the walk thru and/or storage slot. The top section of the transom kind of just sits there and there should be no restrictions for the storage slot's placement.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jeboniface
Tin star

Post by jeboniface »

I haven't made the gate because I have been debating hinge placement and latching options. I like the idea of a drop in gate. Two verticals stiles on each side with the gate dropping down into the slot. Simple, no hardware. I could do that this weekend it's so simple! I'll post pics if I get around to it. Won't be tonight cuz I just made my first gin and tonic, (it's 4:20 pm, Friday. Just arrived at the lake 20 min ago.) :lol:
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

You will all chuckle when I tell you how the idea for a drop in slat popped into my head. Then you will rent the movie.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD