Soda blasting vs. Glass Beads

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
sckaras

Soda blasting vs. Glass Beads

Post by sckaras »

I know it has been recommended that sand blasting is not good for the hull. We are stripping the whole thing top and bottom
having trouble finding a soda blaster but found someone that uses wet blasting with glass beads. Has anybody any experience or recommendations on this?
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Soda blasting vs. Glass Beads

Post by EWRice »

This water blasting is becoming very popular, and for good reasons. The first time I saw this was a contractor out of Ohio blasting and painting locomotives for G&W railroads around Michigan. Last fall I was working on a lift at a marina in west michigan. A contractor was water blasting the bottom of a fiberglass boat, between two other boats. I was amazed at how well it blasted, how little mess it made and the ease of cleanup. I had a long conversation about what he does, my 32 express (that desperately needs the bottom done), and some of the other work he had done. I don't think there is any other way. I was so impressed with what I saw. With the corrosion inhibitors added to the water you can blast steel, aluminum or anything. I will be having him do my boat, a few customers boats, and some old passenger rail cars. I will report on the results.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson