Painting of hull transom topside question

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
kimbo

Painting of hull transom topside question

Post by kimbo »

I am removing the PO boat name that was painted on the transom. Once the painted name is removed, the white paint that was under the name is shades different from the surrounding paint on the hull transom. So, I intend to repaint the transom before placing the new boat name on. Question is, what brand of paint and color do my fellow Marinette's recommend? The PO left a box of paint cans with the paper label gone but with "7923 Marinette white" written on the lid. Searching the net for cross-reference to the "7923 Marinette white" was a dead end. My take from our forum, the preferred paint brands are imron for spraying (no way), Interlux, Awlgrip, and Rustoleum.

Thanks,

Kim
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Painting of hull transom topside question

Post by jralbert »

The brand of the original paint was International Paint Co, This is not to characterize the quality of their product, but the paint job on my boat was awful, it chalked in about 5 yrs. Other owners report better results but there are many reports over time that this stuff chalked.
Where you may be lucky is whether the primer is intact. If so, I don't believe you have to go down to bare metal. A light sanding and cleanup then prime and a couple of overcoats.
Another thought from a least possible effort guy - the transom doesn't have to be a perfect match since it's rarely viewed at the same time as the sides. For me, close would be good enough.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

As Joel has said, I would sand it and paint it. If it is chalking (mine was ) you will need to sand off the loose soft paint. Wet sand it and it will come off fast and smooth. All oil and dirt has to come off. Worst thing to remove is silicone. If you don't get it off, the paint will not stick. Wipe it down with solvent and paint. You don't have to go to bare metal and prime if the old paint is sticking. Keep it clean, and your hands clean. Don't paint if the wind is blowing dust around. Paint early in the day so it will dry before nighttime. If you want a slick finish you can spray, or roll and tip with a brush, or just thin and brush will give a smooth finish with some paints. Wet sand it if you want it smoother.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
kimbo

Post by kimbo »

Joel and Busia,

Thanks for the reply. I intend to just paint the transom for now. Reviewing other painting comments on this forum, the two most common brands of paint appear to be Awlgrip and Interlux. My take on brands is that Awlgrip to a two part process that requires starting from bare metal, primer and paint whereas Interlux is a one step process of light sanding of the existing paint, cleaning the surface and than painting. So, is Interlux the brand to use or some other brand? Also, if I use Interlux, what shade of white do you choose for a Marinette?

Thanks,

Kim
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Painted my hull with Rustoleum Top Side-Gloss White and the stripe with Top Side Navy Blue, used 3/4" reflective tape for the stripes within the stripe. It must be added a great part of my decision in using the Rustoleum was the fact it was free. Sanded the hull with 80 grit on a random orbit sander and wipe it down very well with alcohol. Will say it is critically important to wait the recommended time between coats or you'll seal the still drying coat under the second coat and end up with a gooey mess on your hands. Two years later seems to be holding up well. Now just need to get the rest done!
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Here's a suggestion. If you only want to do the transom, I always see ad's for vinyl wrap decals. I see them on a lot of boats. Don't know the cost, but I'm lazy, I'd rather put on a sticker to cover the whole thing than have to repaint it.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I was curious about whether Awlgrip could be applied over an existing surface. The tech sheet indicates it can if the surface is properly prepared and sound. Don't rule it out if you think it has other qualities you find attractive. That said, Brightside has been used by others on the forum and I don't recall hearing any gripes.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Skipper3
New poster

Post by Skipper3 »

I'm in the process of doing the transom right now. I've always been told you MUST use a primer that can take the solvents of Awlgrip, otherwise it will lift prior 1 part paints. I am using Pettit Easypoxy with a hardener. Roll and tip looks good enough for now.
Attachments
20190428_181423.jpg
kimbo

Post by kimbo »

I picked up a color chart from West Marine for Interlux Brightside Polyurethane to match my hull. The best match was a toss up between Blue-Glo White (4259) and White (4359). Bought a quart of White. Want to thank everyone for input. Much appreciated.

Kim