41' '88 Marquis - General questions on

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 41' '88 Marquis - General questions on

Post by bcassedy »

We went with a Magic Chef 4.8 cu ft top separate freezer model. It's 50" tall and, of the apartment sized units, is the tallest we could find that would fit in gallery's 'fridge alcove'.

Bill n Sharon
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
bbrundage
New poster

Post by bbrundage »

Hi there, new to this forum.
I bought a 1989 41 Marquis in August of 2020...from Canada...during COVID...that is a story for several beers. Used her all last summer, love the boat. I should mention that I have a 1968 28' single Express which is my "baby", but we are planning on Looping after retirement (2023 I hope..). So despite the fact that she is in great shape, freshwater only, I am doing a full refit (basically alone, with standby help from the marina on Cayuga Lake (NY) where she sits on the hard).
One refit item came first when the old fridge started to smoke: I replaced with Vitrifrigo 12v/120v model DP2600IBD4-F-2 (note: Hard to read sticker: the D might be an O) Google it...5.8 amps at 12v. Fits right in but need to add a tiny strip of wood to one side so the flange screws have a bite. Additional trick is to wire in a small fan to circulate a bit more air thru the louvers above and midship of the fridge. I am satisfied with this fridge.
FYI, and FYComments, is a list of planned improvements:
-Create a sealed anchor locker with overboard drain. Not sure how yet. Cannot have wet galvanized chain laying against metal in the salty portions of my future.
-New heads. Going with Marine Elegance. Book by Peggie Hall tells all about heads. Our boats have a real long pipe run to the tank, in the "sub basement", not sure it's a great design but don't know what to do about it. BTW I discovered my poop tank to be WAY corroded and it would have 100% been a disaster and possible marriage ender had I not dug this deep to discover it. New hoses and pipes too. New plastic poop tank.
-Propane stove, propane cabin furnace, outdoor grill. Propane tanks inside ABYC locker to be built stbd third of flybridge helm OR elevate the port FB seat and put underneath
-Redo hatch access to engine and subfloor area
-Lithium batteries, inverter/charger, Balmar alternators and charging for the batteries
-New A/C units along with the furnace, new ducting
-Rebuild steering and trim tabs
Either convert the 454s to closed loop cooling or cheap out and put in a freshwater flush valve after the strainers and plumb it for easy connection to a hose at a marina.
-New electronics
-Big project: Triple size of swim deck and add real steps up to the sundeck. Meeting an aluminum fabricator today. All ideas welcome: I have no idea what it'll look like or weigh. My single complaint of the Marquis is the difficulty in embarking/disembarking from low docks. I saw a boat with a scissor type staircase which hung from the sheer rail and flopped to the dock; longer distances spaced out the stairs. I wish I had taken a photo and gotten the name! But my idea is to improve access from swim deck. Many newer plastic boats have molded in steps, sometimes like a spiral stair. It will be tough to make something big enough without looking ridiculous and too heavy. Also need to taper the swim deck to narrower so it will not catch the wake when on plane.

Suggest everyone get Nigel Calder's book Boatowner's Electrical and Mechanical manual. Invaluable.
Glad to discover the forum. I'd love to add my 2cents' worth as this project unfolds.

Bill- My Marquis does have a plate with the "41 Marquis" on the sides
Paul- Did you add the closed cooling?
Anyone: I'm scared of fuel tank decay. Anyone encountered that? I don't know how one could ever replace the big tanks under the bunk.

Happy cold aluminum till spring,
Brian in Central NY Finger Lakes
Brian Brundage
Cayuga Lake, Finger Lakes, NY
1968 Express 318 single "Yikes!"
1989 41 Marquis 454X2 "Surf Rider"
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Brian...
1. Thanks for the comments!
2. Your 41' projects - WHEW!!!! That's a list!!
3. Thanks for detailing. It gives a clear picture of what's needed, planned, what's being done and progress.
Sone of the tems you mentioned.
- gas tank decay - I may have heard of it, but it's very rare.
- holding tank decay - that I have heard of (more frequently than I'd like). I would like to say that I wish Marinette engineers would have considered the corrosive nature of a holding tank's contents and used plastic tanks instead BUT... the composition of plastic tanks then compared to now may have been something of a wash compared to the aluminum tanks they installed.
QUESTION --- I've see the holding tank's location on our 41'.
-- How did you / what's the process in their removal (once they've been emptied)???

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
bbrundage
New poster

Post by bbrundage »

Great question. Here's what I did:
First I removed the plywood floor from the frames. Had to disassemble the lower helm to slide wood out. You probably don't HAVE TO do that; could work thru the hole behind steps, but I'd recommend taking the time to remove trim wood adjacent to stbd cabin wall, then the trim and the electrical panel, then the little L brackets holding the whole thing to the plywood floor. (Bonus- you get a look at the inside of your shore power inlets. Mine had evidence of a fire!!! Charred wood, new receptacle. A surveyor impressed on me once that this is the #1 danger source for boat fires!)
I had a water heater and my freshwater pump on the "sub-floor". The plywood was starting to rot. I took out the water heater and all the rest and tossed 'em. The heater came out straight up. Then I unscrewed the water tanks and moved them outboard as much as possible in order to remove the center plywood sub floor. This exposes the top of the nasty tank. My inlet nipple was so corroded that I tore the hose off with my hands! It absolutely would have rotted off next summer. After disconnecting the hoses and vent hose, I could not figure out how to get the tank out vertically. Before grabbing the sawzall, I realized something: To remove the plywood wall panel which is aft of the galley stairs (with the hatch in it) is not difficult. That opened up an area large enough to evacuate the poop tank. Then I noticed the weeping through corroded areas on bottom of tank. It was failing, for sure.
It is not really that bad. More importantly, it really should be done. Bonus #2 is you can really see all the wiring, the bottom of the chase, where everything routes to, and you can clean that part of the bilge.
I am looking at a tank from Ronco Plastics that will likely fit (need to remeasure first to be sure) and a Torrid MVS 10 water heater replacement.
Of course, all new hoses are in order. That part is likely to be worse than the tank removal...
Good luck
Brian
Brian Brundage
Cayuga Lake, Finger Lakes, NY
1968 Express 318 single "Yikes!"
1989 41 Marquis 454X2 "Surf Rider"
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Thanks Brian!
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

Can't wait to see that boat Bill !
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Be happy to show it....
She'll have undergone a pretty good "public presentation" fitout.
- Stuff (10 items) to address insurance "must do"'s PLUS those things to get her on the way that Sharon & I would like to make her shine!!

PLUS... get Sunset Seeker (32') in sale shape...
- rebuild rear cockpit
- remake upper console's cover
- remake upper station's Bimini top
- replace port engine's carb
- rebuild cockpit screens (track hardware)
- interior cleanup.

..... I love retirement!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

I have seen many different boarding steps on the net and in magazines like Great Lake Scuttlebutt or the BoatUS mag, there are some pretty innovative steps and ramps. Check RV/camper dealers as well.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Jim,
Good advice. Lots to check but with so many comes the ability to get quality plus best pricing.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.