Canvas top

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
shelbygt
Tin star

Canvas top

Post by shelbygt »

Ahoy! Looking to put a canvas top on my 1962 30' M to cover the back deck area. I believe it had one at one point. Has anyone installed one? Guessing I'm going to have to bend up a frame structure or do the folks who make the top do that too?
1962 Marinette 31' Express
Single Gray Marine AMC 327

1955 Feathercraft Deluxe Runabout
Mercury 500

1976 Saquaro Jet Boat
Ford 460
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Canvas top

Post by ddependo »

The shops that sew canvas also bend the frames. Fast Jeff and I did our own. Local shop wanted $900. I said to my self "how hard can it be" If you want to go that route I will start you in the right direction. Cost me about $300. I guessing Fast Jeff Much less. He know how to save the bucks. I'm trying to learn from his example.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
shelbygt
Tin star

Post by shelbygt »

Wow. You mean you did the canvas work too? Don't suppose you have a picture of frame and top?

Mercury 500

1976 Saquaro Jet Boat
Ford 460
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Lost photos in computer crash but will take some more. Started with an old Singer machine made for canvas found on ebay. Learned everything else from sailrite.com. They have lots of how to videos. Started sewing for everyone else at boat dock. Mostly make vent covers cushions, deck pads deck covers & window covers. Made enough in first year to buy new sewing machine. I make enough each month to pay my covered slip fee of
$340. just sewing.
Wayne
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
shelbygt
Tin star

Post by shelbygt »

Wow

Mercury 500

1976 Saquaro Jet Boat
Ford 460
RustyBoat
Tin star

Post by RustyBoat »

I plan on learning to do this myself. my fisherman has several different pieces that need to be replaced and some zip together. Any tips would be appreciated. what tools did you buy other than the sewing machine?
1968 32' Fisherman
beginning restoration fall of 2014

Lake Sidney Lanier
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Older machines with metal gears are better than the newer models with plastic gears. 8-)
I bought a used Viking Husqvarna and it has served me well :!:
Better yet find a good used Sailrite machine. :roll:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Timely topic!

I had purchased a Sailrite LSZ-1 machine with the intention of making a full enclosure for the back of the boat. Sailrite has a video for a full enclosure but this only covers side curtains: http://www.sailrite.com/Make-Your-Own-F ... losure-DVD . You would also need the video for making a bimini top: http://www.sailrite.com/Building-a-3-Bow-Bimini-Kit-DVD

I called Sailrite (great folks to work with!). In talking to them, they advise that the videos are geared more to sailboats but can be adjusted for our boats. HOWEVER...

The guy at Sailrite advised that they are in process of creating a video targeted (for full enclosures on the aft end of a boat) towards power boats ( Big M's included) and should be finished within the next few months. He advised it may be completed in a month. The cost isn't known at the time (the 2 videos/DVD's retail for 49.95 and 19.95) BUT... he said they are considering making the video available on UTube for free (DVD's would also be available for sale). Since this process is targeted towards boats like ours, I'm inclined to bide my time (and work on putting together the other projects I'm looking to do... ).

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Bill,I agree. They are great to work with & give advice when needed. They have a forum where people ask questions too. That have a material calculator that figures how much material you need. Been making flag covers and tote bags for gifts for my boating friends. Anyone is welcome to pm me if you have questions.
Wayne
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
shelbygt
Tin star

Post by shelbygt »

Since the material is canvas, guessing it's going to require a heavy duty sewing machine? Can't say I've ever run any kind of sewing machine. Is it a steep learning curve?

Mercury 500

1976 Saquaro Jet Boat
Ford 460