what to do when railing screws are stripped out

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ukester
Tin star

what to do when railing screws are stripped out

Post by ukester »

I know on some of my railing that there are no screws and some will not tighten up-what do you use to get these railing tight and hold up.

Thanks Mark
mark ucakar
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: what to do when railing screws are stripped out

Post by bill »

BigM
Mark,
I used the Fastjeff method to replace all my screws that hold the rail stanchions to the deck. :D
i did mine about four years ago and all is well. :!:
Go to the Mcmaster-Carr web site and look for aluminum rivet nuts. Buy a good rivet tool . :roll: If you buy a rivet tool from Harbor Freight you will need to buy at least two of them. :oops: They do not hold up, but they are warrantied. :shock: Its just not worth the hassle taking it back to the store.
Fastjeff has a help site on this forum. :mrgreen: but I have had trouble opening it up on my computer. :o
Good luck
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

I have also had troubles opening FastJeff's site on any of my devices. Not sure if this happens for anyone else, but the site starts out perfect and then the text increases in size as you scroll down and it eventually gets unreadable. I can probably only read the first 5 articles or so.

All info on the site that I have been able to read has been top-notch advice!
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

P.S. I have tried different browsers. Explorer, Chrome, Firefox. Same thing happens on all.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

Same thing happens to me when I view FastJeff's site.
I thought it might be because I use Mac...but I guess not.
What I could read is excellent though.
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
1.52:1 Velvet Drives
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

I was able to open Jeff's site:

http://fastjeff.tripod.com/

in Internet Exploret Ver 8 without a problem. Able to scroll down to the bottom of the site and text remained same size.

I tried it in Google Chrome and what you guys noted happened there: scrolling down past the pics of different boats resulted in very large text. I also noticed that another tab opened up in Google Chrome with an alert that I had a virus on my computer (which I don't). This is malware and I'm wondering if some hacker has slipped code into the web site or the hosting site targeted to the current browsers.
--> for those having a problem, what Internet Explorer version are you using? As IE8 isn't supported by Microsoft, I'm wondering if the malware code writers didn't target that version, just current versions of the various browsers.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

This is off topic but responsive to the last few posts. It is pretty clear that the tripod.com site/server are infected. As you scroll down the page, the text gets increasingly larger so it winds up almost unreadably large. When you attempt to leave the site, a popup appears urging you to click to clear your computer of an infection. Don't click!!! Or you will download malware/virus. As a matter of fact -sorry, Jeff -- don't even be tempted to visit the site because it is a computer disaster waiting to happen. JEFF: if you can contact the tripod site operators directly that would be helpful but my guess is that they may be aware. Getting on the internet is getting riskier as the bad guys evade the good guys with newer tricks every hour
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I agree; stay away from Tripod sites!

On fixing those loose railing screws, eight years ago I replaced every screw with aluminum Rivet Nuts (# 8 thread) and the railings have never loosened up since.

Jeff

PS: If you need help locating or installing them, let me know.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ukester
Tin star

Post by ukester »

at advise-whats the best tool to install these?
mark ucakar
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I've tried a rivet gun with a threaded "rivet" end (that pulls them up tight) but it kept snapping off on me. In frustration, I returned to my rig with the grade 8 bolts and nuts.

The trick (shown in the photos) is use a metal 'arm' with a hole drilled in one end to pull the rivets up. Thread the Allen bolt through this 'arm', through a grade 8 nut, and into the rivet. While holding the arm, you tighten up the nut.

Use lots of anti-sieze on the threads, which only last a half dozen times before needing replacement.

Jeff
Attachments
railingmess3.jpg
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington