What type of screws and bolts to use?

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Louky
Tin star

What type of screws and bolts to use?

Post by Louky »

Hi All. I just bought my first Marinette a couple months ago. It's a 1987, 32' Fisherman. I've heard that you have to be particular about what type of screws, nuts, and bolts you use, so not to cause a reaction with the aluminum. If this is true, what should I use? It appears that stainless steel has been used on it now.

Also, If a screw hole is stripped out, should I just go with the next larger size, or how should I repair.

Thanks so much!

Louky.
1987, 32' Marinette Fisherman
Col. Angus
Louisville, KY
Twin Chysler 360's
DougDoty
Tin star

Re: What type of screws and bolts to use?

Post by DougDoty »

Stainless is the choice for sure, anodes and trim tabs were installed with stainless from the factory with great success. I guess it would depend on where your screw is stripped but the normal answer is to up size if needed. I have saw this done on stantion bases with good and acceptable appearing results.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
Cabinfever
Tin star

Post by Cabinfever »

Depending on the location of your stripped screw you can buck it. Use a larger hammer on the backside and pound on the outside with the ball side of a ball peen hammer, this should effectively shrink your hole for the standard size screw, as long as you can get to the back side with your larger hammer.
Joe
1977 28 Express
Single 318
(RESTORATION IS ALL THE ROUTINE MATIANANCE AT ONCE)
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

Louky wrote:Hi All. I just bought my first Marinette a couple months ago. It's a 1987, 32' Fisherman. I've heard that you have to be particular about what type of screws, nuts, and bolts you use, so not to cause a reaction with the aluminum. If this is true, what should I use? It appears that stainless steel has been used on it now.

Also, If a screw hole is stripped out, should I just go with the next larger size, or how should I repair.

Thanks so much!

Louky.
BigM Do the fast jeff fix. There are numerous write ups on replacing stripped out screw holes especially rail stantions. Hopefuly it will follow us to this new sight. ;)
You can go to McMaster Carr web site and look up "Aluminum Heavy Duty Rivet Nuts". I used 10-32 flat head stainless screws.This is a permanent fix for washed out holes in aluminum. I did all of my rail stantions about five years ago and they are still tight. :D
Bill
Last edited by bill on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Louky
Tin star

Post by Louky »

You guys are great! That's some very useful information.

Thank you so much!
Louky
1987, 32' Marinette Fisherman
Col. Angus
Louisville, KY
Twin Chysler 360's