Flybridge plexi glass

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ukester
Tin star

Flybridge plexi glass

Post by ukester »

has any one replaced there plexi glass and if so where did you buy it from-second question my 86 39ft sedan does not have any type of metal on the TOP of the plexi glass and I have seen some that do-did some come with and some with out-the reason is I will be making a cover for the flybridge and the glass does not look strong enough to handle the pull from the canvas.

Thanks Mark
mark ucakar
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Flybridge plexi glass

Post by ddependo »

I have replaced mine. Went to a suppler that carried the Plexiglas and bought a sheet. While I was there they sold me a special drill bit to drill the Plexiglas without cracking the plastic. Cut it with a jig saw. Mine has a alum. extrusion on top edge. Don't think I would attach canvas to Plexiglas
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

I replaced mine after it got damaged last winter while in dry-dock. I too purchased by the sheet, in Cleveland ( i live south of there ) at a place called House of Plastics. They carry any shade of plexiglass you want, clear, smoked, pink, purple, blue. I used 1/4 inch smoked on mine, looks great. My boat is a 37' sedanflybridge, has a 3 piece windscreen, one big middle piece and two curved end pieces. The curved end pieces I literally put in a toaster oven for a few minutes at about 250* F and bent the curves by hand, no joke. The trim around the outer edge of the "glass" is just steel reinforced rubber trim, by the roll, that was commonly used to trim door edges on older cars in the 60's, and still used on door trim for semi trucks and trailers. Cost me about a hundred bucks in material, quite a bit less than what a pro wanted to do it for.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
jeboniface
Tin star

Post by jeboniface »

I just replaced my plexiglas on my 28 Sportfish. A local company here in Youngstown,OH, Baker Plastics made it for me. I took the old broken pieces and they used them as a template and beveled the edges for me. Total coast about $225. Shipping would be a problem due to the length but if you look around and ask I'm sure you can find a supplier in your area.
I also bought some 1/2 thick white textured UV protected plastic and cut a gate in my transom and used the plastic to make a sill, jams and gate.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I used Lexan for the port aft sliding windows. Product had a "guaranteed not to yellow" claim but, it did after about 6 years. (I doubt the company will replace them for me.) My point is, keep the pattern so you can make another one after it yellows on you (or make two and store the spare out of the sunshine).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
RiverRatt

Post by RiverRatt »

Do not use Plexiglass ( Acrylic ) use Lexan. Lexan handles UV better. I think the generic term for Lexan is Polycarbonate??? It does not break as easy. It does cost more though. I went to a supplier called Piedmont Plastics. http://piedmontplastics.com/ They sold to me direct it was in 2009 I purchased a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 Lexan smoke color was $400-$500. I cut mine myself but be careful on type of saw and drill or you may crack it. Piedmont can recommend what type of tools to use. Then I used a sander to round the edges. The local one in Cincinnati does cutting also.
Bauxite Lady
32' FB Sedan
318 Chryslers

26' Express
Ohio River Mile 498