Sliding Window Poly Glide

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Sliding Window Poly Glide

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: Sliding Window Poly Glide

Post by yooper »

Did you talk to John's dad recently? I had a order in which included polyglide. John had the stroke and I kind of wrote my prepaid order off. Maybe I can get my stuff after all. If you locate something suitable let us know. I got some 3 ft cable ties that might fit if I glue them down, I also thought about the plastic strapping they bind around big shipping boxes.
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Try MSC, Mcmaster Carr or Grainger. Is it just a flat thin strip?
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

With regard to window replacement. Some folks have trimmed down the window track so they can just tip in replacement glass instead of removing the track. If that even works wouldn't a shorter window glass tip in also? I was thinking that if I could find some thicker polyglide material I could use a shorter window and boost it up by shoving the polyglide material under it. I only have one cracked window and I would like to just bust it out and tip in a replacement.
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Post link to remodel pics... We would love to follow the restore with you. Start new thread :mrgreen: BigM
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

Hello, I have a 1988 model with the aluminum tracks. When I painted the boat I took them all out. Had them bead blasted and painted. I left the polyglyde out. And it has worked very good. Originally they had tapered head screws holding the poly,and track down. I used round head stainless screws to hold down the track. The glass slides on the head of the screws. It has worked fine. The other thing I would suggest go to a glass shop . I put a stainless trim piece with a felt lining between the two pieces of glass. It keeps them nice and tight. If I can find a pic I will post it.
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

yooper wrote:Some folks have trimmed down the window track so they can just tip in replacement glass instead of removing the track. If that even works wouldn't a shorter window glass tip in also?
For a moment, I thought that was a really clever solution to quick in-out of the windows without the need to remove the frame. But as I think about it, shortening the window probably won't work because it will likely tip out at its top. Trimming the channel lip at the bottom is the way to go once you have the frame out. I also agree with other posts that it isn't absolutely necessary to replace the polyglide - my original nylon glide disintegrated and the windows slid well enough with glass to metal.

I don't endorse adding a couple of screws to the bottom channel - there is not enough contact point to support the glass and it increase the chance of chipping or breaking because the weight of the glass isn't well distributed.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

If you have original boat there were some 1/4" slats of plastic screwed into the top of the window track to limit the range that a window could slide around. Once your polyglide is gone those are no longer needed because the windows don't slide very easily anymore. I finally figured out why all the Marinette sliding windows get broken. You get in some rough water you better hang on because you will roll around like a marble in a tin can. I knocked down one of my overhead lamps with my head.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
TinChips
Tin star

Post by TinChips »

Check with Sima Marine in Eastlake Ohio. They still stock some Marinette parts and might have the Poly Glide. I'm about to re do my windows too. Stay tuned.

Thanks,
Craig