No small leaks

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
yooper
Aluminum Star

No small leaks

Post by yooper »

I had a small leak in the pipe feeding the toilet valve. This caused the front bilge pump to activate periodically so I turned off the city water when I left the boat. Then I noticed that the front bilge pump was running a lot more often even with the city water turned off. The inlet port had busted off the air conditioner water pump and lake water was flooding in. I had installed a new battery charger and it was keeping up with the flow. In this case the small leak was masking a potential boat sinker. All leaks are bad -- Fix em.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: No small leaks

Post by Fastjeff »

Note to all: The city water valve should NEVER be left on when leaving the boat! More boats swamped from doing that than you would believe (see Boat U S Insurance write ups). We lost one at our slip a few years ago for that reason--a pipe burst and down she went.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

Yeah never ever leave the city water on. I have a shut off on the hose where it attaches to the boat as well. Jeff is right more boats sink at the dock than anywhere else last time I heard.
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

I never hook up the city water hose. Just fill the tank.
Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL