39' aft cabin waterline length

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
wheeler1
New poster

39' aft cabin waterline length

Post by wheeler1 »

New here
I am purchasing a Marinette 39 Aft Cabin.
I have looked everywhere and can't seen to find water line length.
Also has anyone trucked one? I need to go from Detroit to Cleveland, does the fly bridge need to be removed?
Any help please
Thanks Jim H.
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Re: 39' aft cabin waterline length

Post by balthaus »

Flybridge will most definitely need to be removed. Trucking company will need to pull permits for every state travelled in. It is also a "wide load" so boat will only be moving from dawn to dusk.
Not sure on waterline length.
I would strongly suggest using a company with experience hauling boats.
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
1.52:1 Velvet Drives
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

It might be better to cruise the craft on the water from Detroit to Cleveland. Trucking would be pricey and a hassle with removing the flybridge and all.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

The Flybridge , and the head linner to remove the seat post. From the factory the seats are through bolted. Joe . I would drive it if possible.
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Great shake down cruise Detroit / Cleveland no ice yet on lake or river. :)
You need help :?: ;)
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
RBrown
Tin star

Post by RBrown »

We trucked our 39 from Cincinnati to Michigan City, Indiana. We had to remove the fly bridge. We did not have to remove the seat bases.
If you have any questions about the bridge removal, feel free to ask. I have done it twice.
If you do truck the boat, find a transporter that can load and unload the boat. It may save you some money.

If the boat is seaworthy, the engines run well and if you have the time, I would suggest that you consider moving the boat by water. It would be a nice trip.

I have put some pictures of our boat with the bridge removed on Google Drive. Click on the link below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx_Pc ... i1qLWt6alU

Rob
1986 39' Marinette Double Cabin
Misty Blue
350 HP. Crusaders
Home Port: New Buffalo, MI.
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

Rob, How tall was that 39 at the seat base. Joe
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
RBrown
Tin star

Post by RBrown »

Joe,

I don't have that measurement. I believe we measured around 15' to the highest part of the fly bridge when it was on the marinas hydraulic trailer prior to going down the road to the launch ramp.
My guess would be around 13' to the top of the base and 8" to 12" less to the bottom.
We were moored next to a 32 sedan for two weeks and the boats were very close to the same height in the water.
1986 39' Marinette Double Cabin
Misty Blue
350 HP. Crusaders
Home Port: New Buffalo, MI.
wheeler1
New poster

Post by wheeler1 »

Thanks to all for reply. In looking at the line drawings of the 37/39/41 there seems to be very little actual hull difference.
Does anyone have more information?
Overall boat length can be so arbitrary with inclusion on platforms and bowsprit.
Hence my interest in waterline lengths this is a far better indication of actual hull variations.
I also need this information to calculate base speed/power ratio for re-power.
I have found another 39 aft candidate in Huron Ohio......I live in Avon Lake Ohio a lot closer than Detroit.
Issue is the vessel was painted 8 years ago and when they reinstalled the hardware they did not isolate
any of it. Now every snap/screw and especially the stanchion and ladder bases are all loose and or corroded.
On my 32 I had the same issue and removing the hardware was a time consuming nightmare. 75% of the
screws snapped off and as I am sure you all know drilling stainless screws out of aluminium is problematic. It was the hole beside and pull each screw and fill........Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I have also done a lot of work with "adhesives" does anyone know why more accessories and parts i.e. stanchion bases have not been "bonded" to the deck pre- paint? I have done experiments where I can bend 3/16 aluminum plate to its breaking point before the joint of a mount of a similar diameter to the stanchion bases breaks loose. In fact the bond never broke loose.
My other issue is re-power......My 32 was easy as I had rear deck off. Has anyone done a re-power on the 37 or 39 aft?
If I end up with the fly-bridge off and head liner out I an considering just cutting a hole in the fly-bridge deck so I can drop in assembled engines. I have done a lot of fab and welding so cutting the hole and welding the piece back is no big deal.
As I am in buying mode....I would consider all 37/39/41 Aft Cabins. Not looking for a cream puff.
I would rather have a low dollar entry point on a good hull and put 20-40K in it and have all new mechanicals and finishes.
Diesel power is going in.
This will be my last boat. I'm old now and can't do what I used to.
If anyone is interested I have some pictures of one of my more ambitious projects on another boat type, shows I'm not afraid of a "project boat"
http://s161.photobucket.com/user/hagert ... t=9&page=1
I will start posting pictures of my quest and adventure on a web site. This is going to be a strip down rebuild.
Rob
Tin star

Post by Rob »

Always drooled over Checkmates growing up. Real nice job, turned out nice.
1973 32' FB Express
Cincinnati, Ohio