rudder packing

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

rudder packing

Post by ddependo »

Question, To tighten my rudder packing do I need to take the linkage off the top of shaft to get to the cotter
key?

Thanks, Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: rudder packing

Post by bill »

BigM
On my 1974 32' and my 1975 37' I had to remove the linkage to get access to the plastic rudder packing retainer glands cotter pins.

That said, especially if you are in the water :!: :roll:

Once you remove the linkage make sure you have a way of holding onto the rudder, other wise it will torpedo to the bottom of the lake faster than you can say "Oh SH&% :!:

bill :oops:
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Seeing it's not the prop shaft, you can tighten the heck out of that packing to stop it from leaking.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

On my 28 ft, I had a pencil sized stream of water coming in that I could not slow down by tightening. I did not have remove linkage at first, but after trying to get them tight, I had to remove to whole rudder. The steel shafts were pitted bad, not allowing the packing to seal. I wire wheeled the shafts, cleaned off as much residue as I could, then I covered the pitted area with JB Weld. After it hardened, I sanded them smooth. I reinstalled rudders, installed new non metallic cutless bearings, and new packing material. No more leak. Also, there was quite a bit of slop in the rudder cutless bearings that was causing a vibration at cruising speed, which was eliminated after changing out the bearings. My packings also had 3 or 4 screws going into the plastic packing gland jam nut, make sure you back them out all the way before trying to tighten or loosen, otherwise the threads on the gland will get damaged.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

Rodney, a bit of a sidebar question: what method did you follow for replacing the cutless bearings? I might just be crazy but I seem to remember a post in the old forum where someone used a regular 4-inch nonmetallic bearing, cut it in half, and put half at the bottom of the rudder shaft and half at the top.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

That's the only way to buy them.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Maestro, I did use the 4" ones, and like Jeff said, that is the only way to buy them. I did not cut them in half, the old ones I took out were in one piece. I did clean up the bore on the welded stubs that the bearing goes into, and pounded them in from the bottom. After reviewing the Marinette website, and seeing that you should cut them in half, I probably would have if I had read that first.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

Thanks guys.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440

Green Bay, WI
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

TinLizzy wrote:Maestro, I did use the 4" ones, and like Jeff said, that is the only way to buy them. I did not cut them in half, the old ones I took out were in one piece. I did clean up the bore on the welded stubs that the bearing goes into, and pounded them in from the bottom. After reviewing the Marinette website, and seeing that you should cut them in half, I probably would have if I had read that first.
I had the same issue with rudder vibration. It was caused by the improper installation of the rudder bearings. You must install a 2" bearing in the top of the shaft log and a 2" bearing in the bottom of the shaft log. Installing the 4" bearing in one end of the shaft log will cause an uneven distribution of pressure on one end of the shaft causing the rudder to pivot on an angle in the bore.

You'll replace improperly installed bearing in a few seasons.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

I'm definitely going to try replacing those before the boat hits the water this spring. Last year we had vibration at higher speeds which was more noticeable the closer you stood to the back of the boat.

I suspect its not the sole reason for the vibration but Im thinking those rudder bearings are probably shot.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440

Green Bay, WI