blower vents

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

blower vents

Post by EWRice »

My original plastic vent scoops are just about shot. I have checked with all my suppliers and don't see anything I like to replace them. What have others used? I don't like the location of them, but at this point I am not going to bust out the welder, yet.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: blower vents

Post by GB49 »

Run a google search for "marine cowl vents".
There are several shapes & sizes.

-karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

And when you replace them, be sure to secure the hoses with sheet metal screws (or the hoses can fall off).

In the first year we owned our big M, we religiously ran the blowers for 4 minutes each and every time before starting up (using a timer to be sure). But on winter inspection, I found the hoses had slipped off the vents and were lying in the bilge!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Fastjeff wrote:And when you replace them, be sure to secure the hoses with sheet metal screws (or the hoses can fall off).

In the first year we owned our big M, we religiously ran the blowers for 4 minutes each and every time before starting up (using a timer to be sure). But on winter inspection, I found the hoses had slipped off the vents and were lying in the bilge!

Jeff
Good call on the hoses. One of mine fell off too. It might be prudent to just replace the hoses if they are original.
Be sure to use stainless screws.

-Karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Because of the depth of my project, she is getting all new blowers, hoses and most of the wiring replaced. I just can't find a vent that looks right without being too big, sharp on the toes, or ridiculously expensive. I hate the location of them, but I have to limit the extent of certain projects.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
brokebill
Tin star

Post by brokebill »

I bought some new ones that are polished stainless steel with a black plastic base. Their very close to the same size as the old ones so they covered the old holes. The hose fits inside these where there some tabs to keep it from falling. I think though I am going to make some inside keepers for them out of stainless steel wire. They came from Defender Marine I think, or maybe James town. I will look it up and post it in the next couple of days.
Bill Melke
Dayton, Ohio
28' Sedan Restoration
On the hard in Constance KY.
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

II wondered how these would look. Not sure enough air would pass thruhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/BILGE-BLOWER-75MM-3-TA ... Q9&vxp=mtr.
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Broke bill it sounds like you bought the same ones I did. They work well, are reasonably sturdy and look way better than the plastic ones they replaced.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
express28

Post by express28 »

I bought either 4 or 6 of these many years back and they are still in the original package. I believe they are stainless, the clam shell type. They were the closest I could find back then to the originals. Let me know if you are still interested and I would get you a picture of them the next time I go to the boat, which should be in a week or two.
Jim B.
papaharry

Post by papaharry »

I used WHITE NEW RECTANGULAR BOAT VENT LOUVER 13-1/4 X 4-3/4 " NEW ! PAIR! $24.95 + $7.95 Shipping From Searayman 13 on e-bay
on my 28' sportsman