Another thread on bottom paint.

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Boatin2
Tin star

Another thread on bottom paint.

Post by Boatin2 »

We are getting ready to do a bottom paint job in a few weeks. I have been looking for the best price on Interlux 2000e and Trilux 33 and came across a different paint and 2 part epoxy by Total Boat in the Jamestown Distributor catalog. It has similar properties to interlux and seem to provide the same protection. It is quite a bit cheaper and has free shipping. I wont skimp on the job but if I can save close to a hundred bucks on the job I will. Does anyone have any experience with this paint? ;)
Thanks , Mike BigM
1970 28' express single 318
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
It only takes a few Nautical miles to make me a happy man! :D
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Another thread on bottom paint.

Post by Tranquilo »

I love total boat products. I use it for everything except the actual trilux33 application. I would if someone would tell me it was OK for the aluminum bottom.

It seems these guys are doing more research than interlux
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Call their tech guys and ask. You DON'T want to use it if it isn't safe.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Some years ago I did a comparison between Trilux 33 and (I believe) ZO No Foul. One section was trilux, another ZO. ZO had fewer barnacles (and the in the area of the Chesapeake Bay we were in, barnacles were a problem since the water was brackish, somewhat salty). So I switched to all ZO No Foul but still got some critters and slime. A few years later, I repeated the experiment, dunking a piece of metal coated with one product on each side. After a month, hands down, the Trilux side was cleaner so I switched back to Trilux and stuck with it.
It's pricey, in the neighborhood of $235/gal. If you shop, you may be able to find it cheaper. I used one gal to recoat the '32. The gas savings with a clean bottom insure that the paint almost pays for itself.
Formulas change, of course, so today it may not be the best on the market. Do your own test with Brand X vs Trilux - Use your preferred brand on most of the boat, then get just a quart of other stuff (in a different color) and apply it to a large patch. I'm dating myself now : you'll see which twin has the Toni.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Thats a good idea. I did talk to a guy at Jamestown Distributors and he said in comparison Total boat Krypton that uses Econea instead of copper to anti foul would do a better job in "his opinion". Since it is 40 dollars less a gallon than Trilux he definitely wasn't trying to up-sell. So the comparison test may be the best way to find out for myself.
1970 28' express single 318
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
It only takes a few Nautical miles to make me a happy man! :D
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

"Econea" isn't a specific chemical - it's a brand name for something. Kinda like saying "our engine oil contains Dynamic Foofram". But Pettit says it works as well as copper, an advertising claim which may be true but you should verify. I'm not knocking the product but as recommended in the other bottom paint thread, check the specs to see whether it's compatible w/aluminum hulls and dig around to see if you can find some user reviews.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

The bottom line is, DON'T use copper based AF on an aluminum hull!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington