Hull design

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: Hull design

Post by barkleydave »

I agree the hull change reduced roll significantly but at a price of speed. My 29 is sweet at 2,500 RPMs which is around 22 mph with moderate load.
Load it up with fuel, water, six persons and of course provisions and that drops to around 18 real quick even with tabs.

safe harbors,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I'd love to try out an older 28 Marinette with twin 360s! Beat that sucker would fly!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Seanik
Tin star

Post by Seanik »

Marinette made many hull changes 1976-1977, the 32 went from a 11 1/2' beam to a 12' beam, around the same time the 28'er went from a 10 1/2' beam to 11'. Also the bows on most models got a flair which directed spray outward away from the hull, before that the spray rides up and on the hull. Many bottom hull experimental Marinettes were tried especially in 1978, I believe some were produced with a step similar to modern offshore racing boats and a double V bottom.
Seanik (Jerry)
Presque Isle Bay, Erie Pa
US army veteran
TinTub
New poster

Post by TinTub »

The hulls changed during 1976. Early that model year was original style and at some point in the year the new style hull was introduced which was wider with a revised interior layout. And, yes it was better in rough water. I had a '76 32 sedan bridge with the new hull. I'm told there were subtle revisions to the "new hull" at some point which improved low speed maneuverability. Not sure what the revisions were, but my buddies '90 handles much better than the '76 I had sold to another friend. Another friend had an '86 that handled like the '90, so the change predates '86.
TinTub
New poster

Post by TinTub »

Oops, didn't see page 2, sorry for the redundant information.