Fuel Tank Removal

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Fuel Tank Removal

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Fuel Tank Removal

Post by bcassedy »

This may be slightly off subject of tank removal, but if you're undertaking such an effort, you may want to consider a dual sender system in each tank when you're reinstalling. I put such a system in my 32' sedan bridge this spring. I ordered 2 dual sender units from: http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/level-Fu ... 7ehQvkrLcs . The existing sender wire(s) running from the tank(s) <a new connector is required> are used to the current lower station's gauge. I fished a (multi wire) cable to the upper station. Put in an 8 position terminal block at both lower and upper stations. Copied and then cut out the advisory section of each of the upper station instrument panels (replacing with a singular one to meet insurance/legal specs) and installed a new gas gauge (standard type) for the upper port & starboard sections. Ran jumpers from the lower station gas gauge's sender position to the lower terminal block and from the upper block to the sender points on the new upper gauges. Used the upper station's ground and light connections (for functionality of the gauge and illumination). Works great.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Tank Removal

Post by jralbert »

You've done good work on these projects, all needed after a boat reaches a certain age. I don't know how you tell but consider assessing the state of the tanks and if they show corrosion, mull over the idea of replacing them with, say, plastic that doesn't carry the corrosion issues. And if you retain what you have, you'll love the peace of mind brought by clean tanks
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD