1960 29' Family Cruiser

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
MarinetteBud
Tin star

1960 29' Family Cruiser

Post by MarinetteBud »

I sold/traded my '79 28' Twin engine Sedan for a 29' 1960 Family Cruiser and have many questions about how to restore it back to a nice Family Cruiser.
I'm very happy and lucky to have found a TRAILERABLE Marinette.
I am just about done stripping the boat down to bare bones and need much advice....
If anyone in the group owns or has restored one of these boats or knows has photos, etc..... I would be very grateful to speak with you.
I'm debating on stripping my '73 28' Marinette single eng. to use for parts... I need an engine and driveline. I know it was likely a 6cyl ...but I have more parts than money right now. The '73 was put on Craig's list for $5000 (with running engine) and got little interest...so I thought the 318 may be a good choice, as well as many other parts. This boat does NOT have a corrosion meter... I was told it was nothing more than a low voltage indicator and did nothing to help reduce corrosion, only told you it was happening. True?

OOPS.... rambling on in the wrong category...sorry.

I will try to enter my questions in the right category of this group...
Thanks for the help,
Bud
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: 1960 29' Family Cruiser

Post by jralbert »

If the corrosion meter you refer to is the CAPAC monitor, then the info you got was very incorrect (mistrust that source going forward). It is NOT a low voltage indicator. It is a monitor to give you a reading on the galvanic potential. How you act on the info is what reduces corrosion. In the same way that a gas gauge prevents you from running out of gas. When it reads low, you refill. If the readings on the CAPAC galvanic meter are off, it's a flag that sends you looking for the cause.

Incidentally or coincidentally, a low reading on CAPAC can be a sign of trouble as can be too high a reading.

Your question was a good one. Good luck with your project
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

I have some pics of a family cruiser . 59 model
Can we see some pics of yours?

Look here
http://www.marinetteboat.com/forum/view ... p?f=9&t=29
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
MarinetteBud
Tin star

Post by MarinetteBud »

THANKS VERY MUCH, Metalhead...
I enjoyed seeing what the boat looked like from the factory, original.
I have contacted the new owner of the boat you show Gary Dick "Lady Nastalgia" a couple of days ago....I guess it was an Ugly Duckling before that.
My boat was the Aquavilla out of Kentucky....it moved to TN....Now it's located in Ga.
I will be glad to show photos, once I learn how....
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

Where are you in Georgia?

All you do to add pictures is drag pictures that are 2mb or smaller into the text window where you type the messages.
Attachments
01212_9eMEUHEeEVt_600x450.jpg
00505_cTCsBmM0qUR_600x450.jpg
00000_2YiHn28MBP3_600x450.jpg
00H0H_bcTtTCxZXvB_600x450.jpg
00a0a_kD6Rwebl7kW_600x450.jpg
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
MarinetteBud
Tin star

Post by MarinetteBud »

That's the boat I now own...I hope to have it ready for the water in the spring. I am doing a full restoration to the boat. It has been totally gutted. All the old carpet, wood rot, black mold,factory Asbestos flooring, eng. & trans, helm, trim , have all been removed. Much of the foam blocks under the floor have been melted by fuel /oil leaks. I used a putty knife to remove much oil/grease sludge from the inner bilge areas. I have given up on the SBC with timing gear drive water pump ( not original to boat) I feel the boat deserves a fresh start and hope to be rewarded with a fine looking and well preforming vessel for years to come.
Thanks very much for the replies and information posted....it helps me to learn the boat history and it's future potential. This is a rare model Marinette in my area and I will do my best to make it last a long time to come....
Bud