1970's Sportsman Restoration

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Joefuskie

1970's Sportsman Restoration

Post by Joefuskie »

Hello all,

I've recently decided to begin restoring a Marinnette that my father purchased in the late 80's. It has sat out if the water for 25+ years. At times it was filled with rainwater as the drain was stopped up with leaves. All the decks rotted and were pulled out years ago.

A little history on the hull. From what I've found on this forum and other internet sources it appears to be a Sportsman. I believe it is a 1973 and I'm not sure on the beam and the length, either a 26' or 28'. It has a forward helm on the starboard side, with a V-berth and head.

It was repowered with a diesel engine with a heat exchanger and operated in saltwater. It was used as a shrimp boat before my dad got it and had been when it was repowered. My dad acquired it to use as a workboat for pushing docks around while he was building marinas. When finished with constructing said marinas he pulled it out of the water to replace the shaft, cutlass bearings, and packing box as there was a lot of power train vibration. The boat has sat in the same cradle ever since (late 80's early 90's).

The current powertrain is a 6 cyl. Ford-Dagenham diesel mated to what looks like a V-drive. Both are frozen, and the v-drive was submerged in fresh water for some time and is quite rusty on its outer case and I'm sure is corroded/seized internally. The "Dag" is likely also seized in the bottom-end as it was partially submerged.

What I know of the boat is: it was slow as it couldn't run full speed from the powertrain vibration; loud as the engine sits outside the decking due to its greater height and length than the V-8 it probably came with. Aside from those two downfalls it was a great boat from all parties who ever used her for work or pleasure. Unfortunately, my father passed away two years ago and all the knowledge he had of her went with him. What I've mentioned here were tidbits of conversations we had throughout the years about her.

Any advice about the suitability of this hull for restoration would be greatly appreciated. My primary concerns are: 1) are there potential corrosion issues from it sitting with freshwater in it for multiple years touching the hull and engine/trans?, 2) I'm on the fence as to trying to save the diesel engine or just finding a gasser to repower (weight is the primary concern), 3) any experience/advice on replacement parts and prices are welcome, I'm assuming everything will need replacing until proven otherwise, 4) any information available for 70's Sportsman would be appreciated as I haven't found much on them.

TL; DR I'm interested in restoring a 1970's Sportsman. Looking for advice on things to watch out for when assessing the suitability/timeline/expense of this restoration.

Thanks,
Joe
197X Sportsman "Janet C."
6cyl Ford-Dagenham diesel (frozen)
Velvet-drive (frozen)
Restoration project
Bangor, Maine
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 1970's Sportsman Restoration

Post by EWRice »

Is the engine you have the same as the Ford Lehman common to Grand Banks trawlers. If so, last time I rebuilt one, it seems like parts were expensive and hard to find. Also, having an in line 6 with a v drive would position the weight of the engine quite a bit further aft than the hull was designed for. That would certainly effect performance. If you stick with the diesel, I would flip it and run it inline. Even if you have to alter the cabin design.

My 72 express had a garden growing in parts of the bilge from all the leaves. Found no corrosion issues when I cleaned it out. Bigger issue was the steel rudders and electrolosis from scary wiring.

Sounds like a good candidate for making it exactly how you want, if the bottom is good. And your willing to take on a big project. After all, you already own it.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

From a guy that loves projects, loves a diamond in the rough, and wrenches for a living....If it is your only project, go for it. I would suggest starting out with a solid plan, factoring in time & money, to avoid loosing interest. A good M is worth saving. Don't be like me and have 10 different projects going on at the same time!! Addressing some of your concerns:
1)The water inside the boat shouldn't be a major issue, you could probably see any corrosion with the naked eye, although don't know if the rusty engine & drive could possibly effect it. Did she have anodes on her? Was it left docked for extended periods in the salt water? Or pulled & trailered when not in use?
2)Sound like, to me, the current driveline could be put to better use as your anchor. As you set out your plan of attack, keep browsing this site, ebay, Craigslist, etc...and look for a complete, intact driveline with trans, exhaust manifold & all. It will make a re-power a lot easier. Although sad to think about, there is likely going to be some salvage boats up for sale after Hurricane Mathew. If the original Mopar V8 is not to your liking, Mercruiser Chevy's are a dime a dozen, I've seen Marinettes with Fords, Crusader Chevy's, AMC's, some even came with the old aluminum Buick V8's ! Or maybe a modern Yanmar if you want to be fuel efficient.
3)As far as replacement parts,this site is a good start, simply scroll to the bottom of the main page and refine your search for info, by choosing "Boat & Hull", "Engines", "Cabin & Interior". The guys are always posting links to many of the vendors, private ads, and such. One of us had parted out his 28' recently and offered parts for sale. Just put up a post on this site and someone will likely have an answer....or a part for sale.
4)Now for specific info on your boat, just Google the images page for Marinette boats and unlock a "boatload" of web pages to surf through. We had a gallery of photo's from the old M web site that had over 900 pictures on it, but not sure if the new web master here was able to get the link back up. There is a Sportsman and a couple Fisherman's in my marina in Marblehead Ohio, if you ever need details or pictures.
Welcome to life with an M. Would love to see some pictures.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Joefuskie

Post by Joefuskie »

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

EWRice, the diesel is in-line with the shafts. If anything it's weight is further forward than a gas V-8. Either way, it's undoubtedly heavier than a gas power-plant. It's similar to the Lehman diesels and I'm not entirely sure that it isn't a Lehman. I remember my dad saying something along the lines of how hard parts were to find for the engine. He'd planned on replacing it if he again needed the boat for work purposes.

Jim, that's some sound advice you've given on timelines and expectations. I'm a lifelong tinkerer and enjoy the project as much as the result for me. I'm between projects, which is why I'm looking at tackling this one. Pictures will be along eventually. The boat is in South Carolina where they just got hit pretty hard by Matthew and my brother has better things to do than take pictures of a project boat!

My loose plan for getting this project going is to start repairing the cosmetics while keeping an eye out for a powertrain. I figure that the cosmetic work can be done incrementally as money becomes available.

I'm leaning more heavily towards a gas engine power-plant, both for weight and cost savings. I like the idea of GM plants for part availability. Fuel injection is also something that appeals to me for fuel economy and operability.

I'm more of a function over form guy so I wouldn't be surprised if I find a power-plant it'll be in the hull and I'll be cruising around with flaking paint and some plywood resting on deck supports.

Joe
Velvet-drive (frozen)
Restoration project
Bangor, Maine
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Did you see the post from express28? Engine looks pretty spiffy....
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Joefuskie

Post by Joefuskie »

I did see the post from express28. Hopefully the stars will align and I can pick it up. It's a haul from Maryland to Maine so I'll have to try and get it when I'm down that way.

Eyes peeled in the meantime for something a little closer!

Joe
Velvet-drive (frozen)
Restoration project
Bangor, Maine