Which epoxy?

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
MarinetteBud
Tin star

Which epoxy?

Post by MarinetteBud »

After spending lots of time on my hands & knees below deck flooring with a putty knife scraping oil sludge out of the boat, then using a spray bottle of grease remover to remove the rest of the residue ... I uncovered a few holes near the engine area that look like they are nearly through the hull or a bit too deep looking to me.
I'm trying to figure out which epoxy is a better application for our Marinette hulls ... JB weld, Marine Tex, PC-11, Devcon steel or Alum putty , alumiweld putty, and some I likely do not know about yet, but you guys may....I'm sure most of you have worked with all of them. What would be the first choice for small aluminum hull repairs or corrosion porosity / small holes in the hull?

Not worth a new topic...
Note: For what it's worth.... The front hull area of the '60 Family Cruiser where the fuel, water, ele. system is, was all sprayed with the factory Tar solution. Not sure what the reason was...corrosion protection, sound deadening?....Sure makes for a dark anchor locker....anyway..... I found that a thick heavy 1 part white latex epoxy floor paint sprayed through a undercoating / bed-liner type spray gun, worked great at covering the black tar stuff. No bleeding or problems with sticking at all and was dried hard by morning.
I will let you know if it's still sticking good in 5 years...ha .. ha.

Yes,....I doubt any other Marinette owners have tarred painted areas like this that they would be interested in painting. But, Hey... I was impressed and thought I would share my success story anyway. The paint was on hand / payed for and white, So I tried it.
Bud
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Which epoxy?

Post by jralbert »

consensus over the years was that it provided sound deadening.

If your coverup method works, it's a first and an important note for folks whose original factory overcoat is flaking off. Hope for their sake and yours it's a successful method
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
MarinetteBud
Tin star

Post by MarinetteBud »

My thought was anything that has a petrol base would soften the tar and bleed through. I hope for everyone's sake who reads this. Try at your own risk. On second thought maybe I shouldn't offer un proven methods on this site that have NOT been tested over a long time and proven NOT to fail first.... I keep forgetting you guys have been through about every problem a Marinette owner has and the solutions that have been proven to work. I think I will keep my un tested ideas to myself, until I can defend the proven results. I was thinking I was being helpful and now realize, un proven advice is NOT helpful to people who may not know any better. I will be more careful in offering any advice or suggestions from now on. Thanks for the warning Joel.
Bud
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

I can recommend PC-11. I used it several years ago when I painted the bottom of the boat. Jeff had recommended, and I second it, to first apply a first coat of 2 part epoxy paint to the bare hull immediately after taking the hull down to bare metal. I then applied the PC-11 to the 1st epoxy paint coat and it's held up outstandingly.

Now, (as saying goes "I told you that story so I can tell you this one..." :-) ). I know your application is for the interior of the hull. My point would be = if the PC-11 is adhering as well as it is to the exterior's 1st epoxy paint layer, then it should work just as well on your interior surface since you've removed any barrier to its adhesion to the hull. Once cured, it's sand-able and fully paint-able.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

Bud

If you will click on your UID in one of the threads you can update your profile and add a signature so we will know where you are located.

Cruised your FB page (I think) and saw the Avi-Toon.

https://www.facebook.com/High-Country-C ... 5844192202

You'll find the below link funny - How the world turns :) -- My wife calls the BigM a floater home :)

1954 Spartan Mariner - aka the first Falls City Flying Service boat.... aka Aluminum Cruisers ..... aka Marinette
http://www.marinetteboat.com/forum/view ... 1954#p2629
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
MarinetteBud
Tin star

Post by MarinetteBud »

Yup..... You found me on Face Book. I will likely add all my photos of the Family Cruiser Restoration as well. Pretty cool clip about the houseboat from the Falls City Flying Service.
NOTE: I found an old Falls City Flying Service Marinette Emblem in the boat behind a cabinet wall and bought a mold kit to reproduce it. I will let you konw if it turns out well.

'Update: I sprayed the closed cell foam Insulation yesterday in the '60 Family Cruiser.... It went well... I used the 600 BF size. I likely have about 2-3 " in the roof and about 1" in the gunnels .... none in the bilge.