Seacock Replacement

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Seacock Replacement

Post by Tranquilo »

Anyone know the correct part / size of the seacock? Mine has a bunch of corrosion and I just figured out that its brass.

I don't feel so good about it so I'm going to pull the boat for a week and do the bottom, prop, seacock and nodes in the next couple weeks.

Please let me know ASAP

Thanks!
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Re: Seacock Replacement

Post by Maestro »

Mine was a 1.25inch thread size seacock on this chart: http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/viewit ... e-seacocks

I would bet yours is the same or a 1 inch. At first I accidentally ordered a 1.5 inch and that was gigantic.

Most seacocks and marine thru-hull fittings are NPS (straight thread) fittings whereas typical ball valves, etc., from Home Depot are NPT (tapered). Technically NPT and NPS are not compatible.

You can also look at thru hulls and secocks from Forespar/Marelon. They are heavy duty plastic. I ended up going with the Buck Algonquin bronze for the price. As long as the bronze fitting is isolated from the aluminum hull, you're safe.

I noticed a very slow drip coming from the old seacock last year and replaced at the end of the season...didn't want to stick around to find out what happened when that little drip turned into a big leak. BigM
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Boat US strongly recommends using marelon. At the same time, I recall my nearly 20 yr old bronze seacocks were in good shape (although I did not undertake anything like a scrape test to check - only eyeballing). I would think you could buy any reasonable size to match the hose you are using, one that can connect to the strainer at the other end.
And yes, leaks don't heal - they worsen. Glub, glub
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Warning to all: If you have to close that seacock in a hurry (blown hose or etc.) it better work! I 'exercised' mine every year, and they didn't like to move.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Joefuskie

Post by Joefuskie »

These are two very helpful write-ups, with pictures. I learned a good bit about the different metals and types of seacocks, ball-valves, and ways of mounting them. He focuses more on fiberglass hulls, most of the information still applies.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/seacock_primer

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_thruhulls
197X Sportsman "Janet C."
6cyl Ford-Dagenham diesel (frozen)
Velvet-drive (frozen)
Restoration project
Bangor, Maine