Sliding Glass Window Lessons Learned

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Sliding Glass Window Lessons Learned

Postby carl » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:58 pm

Here is a cut and paste from one of my earlier posts regarding the Poly Glide material, and having my first two window panes cut, tinted and installed. I was boat bragging about how nice they came out, but came home to an unpleasant surprise, the upside is I have a very good lessons learned to share.

Update on the Poly-Glide material: I pulled my first pair of windows out from the salon, these happened to be the aft pair on the starboard side and as a result they were both square panes. I removed all four lengths of the aluminum track, the horizontal top and bottom frames, and the shorter vertical fore and aft frames, there was a little caulk to break free but it was not difficult. The tracks were secured with only two stainless steel screws each, they came out relatively easy for having been in there twenty six years. Once I had the four frames out on my worktable I proceeded to push the old, cracked and crumbling white Poly Glide material out of its slots. I then cleaned the tracks with soap and water and they were very dirty but came out like new. The original Poly Glide turned out to be a white nylon material with absolutely no UV inhibitor in it. Nylon is not the best material for a boat window track because the nylon actually absorbs water and does not hold up well to UV. Using a caliper I was able to get precise measurements of the track and the Poly Glide that I had removed. The aluminum track extrusions are unique as they are manufactured with a T-slot in the bottom of the track. The Poly Glide material slides into these T slots and is held in place by them. As you know we need two different widths of Poly Glide, one for the 1/4" glass and the other for the 3/8" screens. After having contacted a plastics manufacturing company and explained my needs and situation to them I was able to special order exactly what I needed, only one hitch, they had a minimum order or "Lot" amount before they would custom cut it for me. I have enough Poly Glide to restore ten 32' Marinette boats now. The new material is a Black U.V. Resistant Polyethylene material which blended in nicely with my aluminum tracks, my tracks are anodized a flat black color so you can't even see the new material in the track, this was a bonus. The measurements are .062" thick X .344" wide for the glass track and .062" thick X .500" for the screen track. They cut it in 50' rolls for me. You need twice as much material for the glass then you do for the screen because there are two panes of glass to one screen. When I slid the new material into the freshly cleaned tracks it was a perfect fit. I turned the track over with the new Polyethylene material in it and drilled through the two original existing holes in the track from where it was secured to the boat, drilling through the Polyethylene. Then I turned the tracks right side up, pulled the Polyethylene strips out and countersunk the new strip at the two holes I just drilled, The material is thick enough to get a clean countersink in it which allowed me to use the original tapered head stainless steel screws sunk into and level with the plastic so the glass is not riding on the screw heads. I opted to replace all of the Poly Glide in all four tracks, this totaled eight strips of glass width material and four strips of screen width material, top, bottom, fore and aft. I took the old window panes to a glass shop where they used them to pattern two new panes out of 1/4" laminated safety glass, then I took the two new panes to a tint shop and had them tinted with a 15% tint. I also had a screen shop make me new dark bronze colored window screens, I reinstalled all of the tracks with the new Polyethylene strips and the new tinted glass and new screen and they all look great together. I sparingly sprayed a little silicone lubricant along the bottom track and the new windows now slide open and closed with just one finger. This got a little pricey but the end result is well worth it. Note: The window screen frames are 3/8" thick, the screen shop had to special order the screen frame material for me as most household screen frames are now 5/16" thick. I've always said if you want something done right you need to do it yourself, I'm particular with how things are done, I did this window restoration much to my satisfaction and in my opinion it turned out better than new. I have fourteen more panes to remove (7 pair). I'm going to share a link to my eBay and there I will be selling the new Poly Glide replacement material if you need it. I'm going to call it a Poly Glide replacement, "Black U.V. Resistant Slide & Glide" Two sizes: .062" thick X .344" wide X 50' long roll for the glass and .062" thick X .500" wide X 50' long roll for the screen.

And now the bad news: Upon my return home after an out of town assignment I found a crack in one of the two new laminated panes that I had replaced earlier this year and this didn't sit well with me because I spent a lot of money, effort and time working this pair of panes and had fourteen more panes to go. There was a small crack on the edge of the new pane when I picked it up from the glass shop and I had the insight to measure and note it on my receipt should a problem arise which it did. The glass shop was very good about it and applied the money I spent on both panes toward my next order which I just placed today. What I've learned about glass in just a couple of days can be beneficial to you too should you have a need to replace a pane or all sixteen like me. It was obvious all sixteen panes of glass on my boat were original from 1990, several were cracked and all were delaminating. Instead of pulling my windows two by two I pulled out all eight from the salon today including the two new panes (one of which had the crack in it). Talking with the glass shop and explaining to them just how important the end result of their product is to me as I restore my Marinette and how passionate I am about this restoration they spent some quality time with me explaining the following which I verified myself on the wealth of information I found about glass through Google searches. Marinette originally used 1/4" laminated safety glass, this is basically two panes of 1/8" glass with a plastic sheet in between all sandwiched together with glue. Naturally not knowing any better I took my first two panes in and had them duplicated. So now with the crack in my new pane I learned about "Tempered Glass" as a window option on my Marinette. They are supplying me with eight new panes of Graylite II (Google it) with "Flat Polished Edges" (Google it) on all four sides and dime radius corners. Tempered glass is what you have in the side windows of your car while your windshield is still laminated safety glass for your protection. The two panes that I recently had cut for me had "Pencil Polished Edges" (Google it) which I thought would be fine considering I installed all new Poly Glide material but the "Flat Polished Edges" will give me a nice flat surface between the bottom of the pane and the new poly glide, my screws are countersunk into the new poly glide material and do not come into contact with the glass. This Graylite II has all of the properties I want in my boats glazing, low heat gain, low UV penetration, privacy. I'll post a picture once I've received and install them, for now I closed the space with 1" insulating foam panels.
Attachments
PC140008.JPG
Last edited by carl on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge "IKOI"
Twin Crusader 350's (Closed Loop Cooling)
Bow to Stern Full On Restoration in Progress
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee
A boat is always safe at shore, but that's not what its built for...

jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Sliding Glass Windows Lessons Learned

Postby jralbert » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:40 pm

informative post
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Finally, I'm back at my windows, four down, twelve to go.
Attachments
P7270014.JPG
P7270015.JPG
P7270016.JPG
P7270017.JPG
P7270018.JPG

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Here is a picture of my Starboard Aft Salon window tracks, cleaned and new poly glide replacement material installed.
Attachments
P7270021.JPG

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:12 pm

New Graylite II tinted tempered windows with polished edges (45 deg. chamfer) and radius cut corners. New screen staged ready for installation.
Attachments
P7270023.JPG
P7270025.JPG
P7270028.JPG

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:16 pm

Two down! Fourteen to go!
Attachments
P7270030.JPG
P7270031.JPG
P7270034.JPG

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:18 pm

Four down! Twelve to go!
Attachments
P7270045.JPG

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 pm

I purchased 32' of this rubber trim to use on my sliding glass windows. Steele Rubber Company.
Attachments
P7270042.JPG

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:25 pm

After I installed the windows I applied the rubber trim to both opposing panes of glass both inside and out. The seal will help with my heating/cooling, insects and water intrusion through the gap that normally exists between the panes. This particular rubber trim is a very good fit for our Marinettes.
Attachments
P7270036.JPG
P7270037.JPG
Last edited by carl on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Took a little time and effort to find these but its good to know there still available in this horizontal mount configuration.
Attachments
P7270052.JPG