ultrasonic antifouling system

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
hoohaah
Tin star

ultrasonic antifouling system

Post by hoohaah »

Has anyone installed one of these systems on there Marinette? If you did what size boat & how many transducers did you use & which system did you purchase? did it keep your hull clean of barnicals ? I am going to strip & paint the hull of my 39' sedan & was wondering if any Marrinette owners have done this? You are suppose to save bunches of money in painting your hull down the road.
Wally
ImageCaptain Wally
39' Marinette twin Volvo diesels
Docked on the Kalamazoo river in Saugatuck, Michigan
Name Miss Kris III
Great Lakes Docks & Decks with over 30 years in Marine Construction Location Algonac, MI
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: ultrasonic antifouling system

Post by javalin390 »

Read some articles online about these devices. One, published in Sail Magazine (sailmagazine.com) covers one that was installed on an aluminum sail boat with promising results. Neat idea, but wow...very expensive, $1500-2000.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Seriously thought about buying a system at the boat show once and decided against it because I couldn't find any user endorsements (in that pre-internet era). I was also leary of claims that low freq sounds discourage barnacles.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

It wouldn't do a thing to repel that green slimy growth--one needs to keep that away as well.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Hi Hoohaah been to Saugatuck many times when I lived up there. Tipped a few glasses at Coral Gables. My 29 used to winter at Whitehall, MI and spent season up in Traverse City Bay area.

As you know most of our boats spend the VAST majority if not all in a slip or cruising off plane. Antifouling paints are "slimacides" are ablative and only work well when the boat is moving. Since ours sit it does not take long for slime to build up and then the chemicals leach at a low or no rate at all. I was always amazed the slim build up on my Lake Michigan sailboat even though it got fresh coating every spring and only in May-Oct.

I have to side with Jeff, I doubt the slime build up would be effected but would like to see some real time testing of the product.

My M is in the water year around and it is amazing even in winter slim builds up on my over the side mag. anode! Water is only 38 degrees ! We do get ice from time to time.

waiting for spring!
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain