Packing Gland Hose Replacement

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Packing Gland Hose Replacement

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

After checking a few older Marinettes, it looks like the 1.875"-1.750" difference may be standard using a piece of 1.875" hose. My boat, as well as all the others, had 1.875" softwall exhaust hose (which is 2 ply) used on all packing glands. Two clamps seals it up just fine on the 1.750" gland. I have not seen a source for stuffing box specific 1.875" ID hose yet.

Even though the exhaust hose doesn't have the same specs, It appears that is what was used from the factory and seams to have lasted quite a long time. I would trust the exhaust hose over trying to stretch or modify a piece of different size hose. Keep in mind you don't want to use a hose with a wire in it. It will tend to want to bend slightly and put side pressure on the gland. I've replaced many packing glands for this very reason. Hard to seal an egg shaped hole with a round shaft.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

A good supply house will have it--that's where I got mine. You might also try on-line (Amazon).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington