Interlux Bilgekote Paint

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Interlux Bilgekote Paint

Postby carl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:35 am

Have any of you ever used Interlux Bilgekote paint in your bilges? I have a temporary plywood cover on my back deck in preparation for pulling the two fuel tanks and servicing everything else under there, I've washed it all out and the only oily area is along the keel, I will be removing the sprayed on asphalt coating between the two stringers on each side of the keel only, leaving the rest of the sprayed on mess in place up to the gunwales. It appears Marinette used this soundproofing and then painted over it with a silver paint and actually mine is still intact and solid, just looks like crap in my opinion. Anyway Interlux makes a quick drying hard coat bilge paint called Bilgekote and it comes in a dark gray. I want to buy a gallon of it and have at it, It will be a fairly easy application as I have everything open, its not like finish work so it will brush quickly. I think it will look fresh and new and wash out easier. Just real curious if any of you have ever used it?
Last edited by carl on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge "IKOI"
Twin Crusader 350's (Closed Loop Cooling)
Bow to Stern Full On Restoration in Progress
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee
A boat is always safe at shore, but that's not what its built for...

Maestro
Aluminum Star

Re: Interlux Bilgekote Paint

Postby Maestro » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:07 am

I too have kicked around this idea but have not yet tried the product. If you are applying the Bilgekote to bare aluminum there is of course a need to prep and etch the metal surface just like painting the outside of the hull, or the coating will not stick.

If you are just using it to cover over the silver-painted tar, it certainly can't hurt anything.
Maestro
1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
Mississippi River

GB49
Aluminum Star

Postby GB49 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:13 pm

I used it in the bilge 10+ years ago. Prep is the key or it will lift. Remove all black crap and use the etching primer. Maybe they have changed the chemicals in the primer but I do recall a very strong odor. Have plenty of forced air.
It does look nice and it is very easy to clean.
If I ever pull the engines I would consider painting the entire engineroom with it.

-Karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp, with K&N flame arrestors

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:02 pm

I'll be reading the Interlux recommended application instructions very closely. Thank You.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge "IKOI"
Twin Crusader 350's (Closed Loop Cooling)
Bow to Stern Full On Restoration in Progress
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee
A boat is always safe at shore, but that's not what its built for...