Marelon Seacocks and Below the Waterline Through Hulls

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Marelon Seacocks and Below the Waterline Through Hulls

Postby carl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:01 pm

I just read all about and watched the videos on Marelon seacocks and below the waterline through hull fittings shared on this forum. Have any of you ever installed Marelon below the waterline? Forespar makes seacocks and Intake Strainers. I have replaced all of my above the waterline through hulls with Marelon and I really like them as they offer absolutely no corrosion issues on our Marinettes. If your using them are you finding that the seacocks are robust enough? I mean we're talking the difference between Bronze and Marelon now, actuating a Marelon handle opposed to a stainless steel handle. I'm headed for a haul out and my ambitions are to pull all through hulls below the waterline and I find this option attractive. Of course I will contact Forspar directly but looking for input here first.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge
Twin Crusader 350's
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee

ForEvers
New poster

Re: Marelon Seacocks and Below the Waterline Through Hulls

Postby ForEvers » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:29 pm

I rebuilt my first Marinette (a 26') in 1999 and installed all Marelon, including a 1 1/2" seacock for the engine pickup (raw water cooled). That seacock was removed last year and it is like new. As you noted, no electrical issues at all. The larger seacock is very robust and never left me in doubt, but I am on fresh water, Lake Michigan.
My current rebuild is an M32. I am using all Marelon for thru-hulls, as well as (2) 1 1/2" seacocks for engine pickups, (1) 3/4" seacock for a/c intake, and (2) 1 1/2" valves for each of the sink drains.
In short, I believe in them.
I don't remember where I read it, it might be in their instructions....but as part of winter lay-up each year I pull the hose and pour 4-5 drops of cooking oil on the ball, open/close the handle a couple times...it's good for another year.
Hope that helps.
Forevers is a 32' Custom Express from 1972
with twin 318's.
Docked on southern Lake Michigan

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:53 am

Yes, this information and your experience with the marelon seacock is helpful. I'm curious if you only used a marelon seacock on top of a bronze through hull or did you also use a marelon through hull intake scoop on the outside of your hull, did you have a bronze of a marelon sea scoop?
Twin Crusader 350's

ForEvers
New poster

Postby ForEvers » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:39 pm

I used all Marelon... thru-hulls, sea scoop, and seacock. Worked like a charm...
A note of caution re: bronze on an aluminum hull. Previous owner of my current M used (1) bronze thru hull for the a/c unit. As a result, pitting of the hull radiates from that thru hull, along the keel line. Stray current caused the pitting, which would not have happened had the thru-hull been Marelon.
Hope that helps.
Forevers is a 32' Custom Express from 1972
with twin 318's.
Docked on southern Lake Michigan

TinLizzy
Aluminum Star

Postby TinLizzy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:27 pm

My only question about Marelon, Is it impact resistant? Can it handle a direct hit from say a log while on plane? That is the only thing that I have worried about.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, Raw Water cooled
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior

barkleydave
Site Admin

Postby barkleydave » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Marelon has been around a long time and is proven product in the marine industry.

safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:53 am

I too have shared Tinlizzy's exact same concern, is a Marelon sea scoop tough enough for service? With my research, input from others and barkleydave being a Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator and Retired USCG Captain, he's had to have seen a through hull or two gone bad in his career. I've made my decision, I'm going with all Marelon through hull fittings when I refit. Once I purchase all of the components I'll critique them and share my opinion here. Everything I read about the Forespar company line tells me they are a good match for our aluminum hulls. I'll also be able to follow up after my boat has been in the water two or three years with a performance and condition update.
Twin Crusader 350's