Auto pilot

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
hoohaah
Tin star

Auto pilot

Post by hoohaah »

Has any one had experience installing auto pilot on a 39' Marinette? can I attach it to cable steering or do I need to change to hydraulic? Twin volvo Diesels Two helms
ImageCaptain Wally
39' Marinette twin Volvo diesels
Docked on the Kalamazoo river in Saugatuck, Michigan
Name Miss Kris III
Great Lakes Docks & Decks with over 30 years in Marine Construction Location Algonac, MI
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: Auto pilot

Post by yooper »

This is the one I am interested in. http://cptautopilot.com/ Looks like an easy install. I'm just waiting for someone on this site to try it first.
hoohaah
Tin star

Post by hoohaah »

I would want an auto pilot that talks to my chart plotter & gps. this is a stand alone only. thanks
ImageCaptain Wally
39' Marinette twin Volvo diesels
Docked on the Kalamazoo river in Saugatuck, Michigan
Name Miss Kris III
Great Lakes Docks & Decks with over 30 years in Marine Construction Location Algonac, MI
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Question regarding cable vs hydraulic should go to auto pilot mfr. Auto pilot is one project I always wanted to do to enhance the boating experience but never got around to. Good luck. Full report, please, when you complete it
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Interesting question. This may sound unrelated, but bear with me. I was told by my boat's previous owner that mine was originally equipt with auto pilot. My guess is that it was removed, perhaps because it broke and quit working (don't really know) possibly because it worked off Loran, which has been phased out?? Anyhow...I replaced my original rudders, as they were almost rotted away (the shafts were nearly corroded in half !! ) I had new stainless steel rudders made to replace them. I had the shop duplicate them as the originals, including the extra keyed/splined boss on the starboard rudder, which I'm guessing was how the auto pilot hooked into the steering. I figured if I ever wanted to install a new one I could. I'm not for sure if that is in fact the reason for the extra spline on the starboard rudder, but I can't think of any other reason for it being there, which is why I had the shop copy it onto the new rudders. My steering system is a Hynautics 3 line hydraulic set-up, but if the autopilot system were to mount to the rudder, it wouldn't matter if you had cable or hydraulic, I would guess.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio